Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
elven_cris elven_cris is offline

Default merging multiple word documents formatting problem

Hi all, I have a program which merges several word files in one. I basically
create a new empty document and using InsertFile (the same as Insert-File
from Word) I insert the other documents (with a page break between them). The
problem is that some formatting settings are changed. For example the left
margin, the header and footer. If the second document contains some insert
boxes and it has a greater margin than the first inserted document, than the
second document will have its margin set at the same value as the first
merged document, and thus the edit text areas will be moved to the left
hiding in this way the original text. What i want is to preserve EXACTLY the
formatting of each document. Any ideas and sugestions will be greatly
appreciated. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Cris

elven_cris wrote:
Hi all, I have a program which merges several word files in one. I basically
create a new empty document and using InsertFile (the same as Insert-File
from Word) I insert the other documents (with a page break between them). The
problem is that some formatting settings are changed. For example the left
margin, the header and footer. If the second document contains some insert
boxes and it has a greater margin than the first inserted document, than the
second document will have its margin set at the same value as the first
merged document, and thus the edit text areas will be moved to the left
hiding in this way the original text. What i want is to preserve EXACTLY the
formatting of each document.

Then: either create the documents from scratch with the _same_
formatting (they should be based on the same template), or convert them
to PDF file and concatenate the result into one PDF.

Depending on version of Word you are using, you can try using the paste
options (tell Word to use the source formatting), but, in general, you
will never get to a really good result. Plus, the result would consist
of so much direct formatting that whoever has to maintain the document
after you will rather think lowly of its creator. :-)

Greetings
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS