How do I remove a forgotten password?

Old December 13th 04, 04:39 AM
Eagle69

Default How do I remove a forgotten password?

I created a word document using MS Word from my Office XP package and
assigned a password to protect it. Actually it is a file I don't wish my
teenage children opening and reading. Anyway I can't remember the password or
for some reason the password I believe I used is not working. How can I open
the document? I need to be able to reset the password or remove it or
something first, but how can I do that?
Old December 13th 04, 08:04 AM
Graham Mayor

Without the password you cannot open this encrypted document. There are
password cracking tools available on the internet which you can attempt to
use at your own risk, but note that while their demos may seem spectacularly
quick with four digit locks, things get a lot slower when using real world
passwords, and you could find that it takes days (or longer) of continuous
processing to crack the password.

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old December 13th 04, 02:55 PM

In addition to what Graham has said, if you think you remember the password,
there's a chance you are typing it wrong. Passwords are case-sensitive, so
make sure you don't have CapsLock on and are not capitalizing (or failing to
capitalize) inappropriately.