Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Smhall Smhall is offline

Default Comment text highlighting lost after merge

I have a user form that merges with with an Access database. I am using the
"PreserveFormFieldsAfterMerge" macro I found on this site. After the merge,
the comments from the original form are still there, but the text they are
attached to is no longer highlighted (the comment field code is highlighted,
but not the text). Is there anything I can do to fix this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Not without some additional vba coding. Are you creating multiple documents
at the one time with the data from the database or is it only one document
that is being created at a time?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Smhall" wrote in message
I have a user form that merges with with an Access database. I am using
the
"PreserveFormFieldsAfterMerge" macro I found on this site. After the
merge,
the comments from the original form are still there, but the text they are
attached to is no longer highlighted (the comment field code is
highlighted,
but not the text). Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Smhall Smhall is offline

The merge creates one document, then I use a "splitter" macro to save into
individual files. The problem seems to happen after the initial merge,
because the resulting document has the highlighting problem as well. BTW, I
am using Word 2000.

"Smhall" wrote in message
I have a user form that merges with with an Access database. I am using
the
"PreserveFormFieldsAfterMerge" macro I found on this site. After the
merge,
the comments from the original form are still there, but the text they are
attached to is no longer highlighted (the comment field code is
highlighted,
but not the text). Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you are saying that the highlighting is not present in the document
created when you execute the merge, then I think that you are going to have
to "roll your own" method of transferring the data into the document.

I would do it by replacing the mergefields in the main document with
DOCVARIABLE fields and then use code to iterate through the database,
setting variables in the document to the values of the fields in the active
record, updating the fields in the document so that the data is displayed in
the DOCVARIABLE fields and then saving the document with a name (probably
taken from the database) before repeating the process.

The code would be something like

'allocate memory for the database object as a whole and for the active
record

Dim myDataBase As Database

Dim myActiveRecord As Recordset

'Open a database

Set myDataBase = OpenDatabase("E:\Access97\Ely\ResidencesXP.mdb")

'Access the first record from a particular table

Set myActiveRecord = myDataBase.OpenRecordset("Owners", dbOpenForwardOnly)

'Loop through all the records in the table until the end-of-file marker is
reached

Do While Not myActiveRecord.EOF

With ActiveDocument

.Variables("varname").Value =
myActiveRecord.Fields("correspondingfieldname")

'Repeat for each field

.Fields.Update

.SaveAs "Path\Filename"

End With