Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mark2atsafe mark2atsafe is offline

Default Page Numbering - Can I ignore hidden text

I have a training manual created in Word (Office 2003 SP2)
I need two versions; one for the student, and with extra content for the
instructor.
I set it up as one document with the extra instructor content styled as
hidden text.
I choose the version to print by turning the extra content on and off.
That bit works great.

My issue is that the page numbering changes when hidden text is on. I guess
that's reasonable, since there are now - for example - 64 pages instead of
32. But the problem is that an instructor can't tell his class to "go to page
x" because their manuals are working on different numbering systems.

So, is there any way of not numbering pages with hidden text (the simplest
solution) or preventing repaginating, or is there a good workaround such as
setting up each pair of pages as a chapter and pretending that is the page
number?! Or any other ideas you have that might help.

I have checked out some of the MVP pages on numbering, but couldn't find (or
perhaps just couldn't understand) the info I need. Any help appreciated,

Mark I
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It is not just the page numbering that will be an issue, the pagination
(that is location of the page breaks will also change) so that what starts
(for example) on page n of the instructor manual, might fit on page n-1 of
the student version.

About the only thing that you could do is run a macro to convert the hidden
text to white when you print the student version, but of course then you
will get blank spaces in that manual where the hidden text was located.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP