Bill Spikowski Bill Spikowski is offline
Junior Member

Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Default Numbering

(Word 2010) Is there a way to set a counter that will insert an increasing numeral at specific places in a document?

These aren't specific Word paragraphs, or pages, or sections; just something internal to my document that needs to be numbered incrementally, updating itself automatically.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Which kind of numbering is this? For example, should numbering increment
based on position in the document (as an ordinary numbered list) or should
it indicate the order in which numbers have been added? If the former, you
could make use of a SEQ field. If the latter, a macro can be used.

Please elaborate.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Bill Spikowski" wrote in message

(Word 2010) Is there a way to set a counter that will insert an
increasing numeral at specific places in a document?

These aren't specific Word paragraphs, or pages, or sections; just
something internal to my document that needs to be numbered
incrementally, updating itself automatically.

--
Bill Spikowski

Bill Spikowski Bill Spikowski is offline
Junior Member

Location: Fort Myers, Florida

For my application, it doesn't matter in what order I had added material; the only thing that matters is the current position in the document.

The numbering simply needs to be 1, 2, 3, 4.

I think I remember doing this with something called a 'counter' but that may have been in Wordperfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post
Which kind of numbering is this? For example, should numbering increment
based on position in the document (as an ordinary numbered list) or should
it indicate the order in which numbers have been added? If the former, you
could make use of a SEQ field. If the latter, a macro can be used.

Please elaborate.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Bill Spikowski" wrote in message

(Word 2010) Is there a way to set a counter that will insert an
increasing numeral at specific places in a document?

These aren't specific Word paragraphs, or pages, or sections; just
something internal to my document that needs to be numbered
incrementally, updating itself automatically.

--
Bill Spikowski
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For a sequential list, you can make use of SEQ fields. These can be inserted
anywhere in the text, and you can insert more than one in the same paragraph
if you wish. Note that SEQ fields are semi-automatic; you will have to
update them manually, for example by switching to Print Preview and then
back to your previous view (Ctrl+F2 followed by ESC does the trick).

You can insert a SEQ field by pressing Ctrl+F9 and then typing SEQ
SequenceName within the field delimiters:

{ SEQ SequenceName }

Press F9 to update the fields in the selection. Use Alt+F9 to show/hide all
field codes.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Bill Spikowski" wrote in message

For my application, it doesn't matter in what order I had added
material; the only thing that matters is the current position in the
document.

The numbering simply needs to be 1, 2, 3, 4.

I think I remember doing this with something called a 'counter' but that
may have been in Wordperfect.

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;495281']Which kind of numbering is this? For example, should numbering
increment
based on position in the document (as an ordinary numbered list) or
should
it indicate the order in which numbers have been added? If the former,
you
could make use of a SEQ field. If the latter, a macro can be used.

Please elaborate.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Bill Spikowski" wrote in message

...-

(Word 2010) Is there a way to set a counter that will insert an
increasing numeral at specific places in a document?

These aren't specific Word paragraphs, or pages, or sections; just
something internal to my document that needs to be numbered
incrementally, updating itself automatically.

--
Bill Spikowski -

--
Bill Spikowski

Bill Spikowski Bill Spikowski is offline
Junior Member

Location: Fort Myers, Florida

This sounds like exactly what I need!

Are there instructions anywhere that will help me to do this? I've never used fields in Word.

The help system doesn't help . . .

I tried following your instructions literally and I got "Error! No sequence specified' -- I can't figure out where to 'specify the sequence'!

[quote='Stefan Blom[_3_];495284']For a sequential list, you can make use of SEQ fields. These can be inserted
anywhere in the text, and you can insert more than one in the same paragraph
if you wish. Note that SEQ fields are semi-automatic; you will have to
update them manually, for example by switching to Print Preview and then
back to your previous view (Ctrl+F2 followed by ESC does the trick).

You can insert a SEQ field by pressing Ctrl+F9 and then typing SEQ
SequenceName within the field delimiters:

{ SEQ SequenceName }

Press F9 to update the fields in the selection. Use Alt+F9 to show/hide all
field codes.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi,

[SEQ field]
Are there instructions anywhere that will help me to do this?
I've never used fields in Word.

for example, following articles may help:

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_p...numbering.html
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-...word-document/
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...005186190.aspx

--
Cheers,
Lisa

Bill Spikowski Bill Spikowski is offline
Junior Member

Location: Fort Myers, Florida

Thank you -- these links are just what I was looking for!

for example, following articles may help:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_p...numbering.html
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-...word-document/
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...005186190.aspx
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The error you cited suggests that you only have SEQ within the field codes,
not the string that I called "SequenceName." You can choose any name you
like (without spaces). The name identifies fields that are part of the same
sequence. For more, take a look at Lisa's links.

--

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
[...]

[quote='Stefan Blom[_3_];495291']

The error you cited suggests that you only have SEQ within the field codes,
not the string that I called "SequenceName." You can choose any name you
like (without spaces). The name identifies fields that are part of the same
sequence. For more, take a look at Lisa's links.

OK, now I get it. The Techrepublic link that Lisa provided explained how it works!