Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
herholsj herholsj is offline

Default Template - Cannot make style for numbering that allows list to res

I'm creating a template, and having issues with creating a style for numbered
lists.

I have made a style that is based on the built in style "List Number," and
haven't changed anything else besides the Number Position and Text positions
for the indentation.

Problem:
This style, when applied, links all the lists into one continuous list no
matter where they are placed in the document. When an individual list number
is selected and told to restart, it doesn't. If you press ctrl-z, it will
restart, but the restart reverts to continuous once you make any other change
in the document.

Thoughts?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you change a numbered style by *updating* it, for example Update style
name to Match Selection from the context (right-click) menu, then manual
restarts may be lost. Use the Modify Style dialog box to change the style
instead.

Note that if you can make use of an outline list, having (say) level 1
restart level 2, that will be a lot easier to maintain.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"herholsj" wrote in message
I'm creating a template, and having issues with creating a style for
numbered
lists.

I have made a style that is based on the built in style "List Number," and
haven't changed anything else besides the Number Position and Text
positions
for the indentation.

Problem:
This style, when applied, links all the lists into one continuous list no
matter where they are placed in the document. When an individual list
number
is selected and told to restart, it doesn't. If you press ctrl-z, it will
restart, but the restart reverts to continuous once you make any other
change
in the document.

Thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...artMethods.htm and
especially http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...tfromstyle.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"herholsj" wrote in message
I'm creating a template, and having issues with creating a style for
numbered
lists.

I have made a style that is based on the built in style "List Number," and
haven't changed anything else besides the Number Position and Text
positions
for the indentation.

Problem:
This style, when applied, links all the lists into one continuous list no
matter where they are placed in the document. When an individual list
number
is selected and told to restart, it doesn't. If you press ctrl-z, it will
restart, but the restart reverts to continuous once you make any other
change
in the document.

Thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] doug@dlogan.com is offline

I am trying to follow the guidance from:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...tfromstyle.htm

But I'm in Outlook 2013. I'm not seeing the VBA having the desired effect, and its unclear from the article what options I'm supposed to change in the GUI.

Per the article, I have the ideal situation for using this method.

I want to have the text as follows:

Repro Steps:
1) My first step.
2) My second step.
3) My third step.

Second Repro Steps:
1) My first step.
2) My second step.
3) My third step.

Third Repro Steps:
1) My first step.
2) My second step.
3) My third step.

The text before the numbering can always be the same style. Right now I have it set as H6.

The numbered items are of a custom style I've created called "Reproduction Steps".

Can someone help point me in the right direction to make "H6" be the "Style of a higher level" for "Reproduction Steps" style so I can keep the numbers auto-resetting to starting at 1?

I'm sure I'm missing something little and stupid in that article. Thank-you very much for your help!

Thanks,
Doug

"herholsj" wrote in message
I'm creating a template, and having issues with creating a style for
numbered
lists.

I have made a style that is based on the built in style "List Number," and
haven't changed anything else besides the Number Position and Text
positions
for the indentation.

Problem:
This style, when applied, links all the lists into one continuous list no
matter where they are placed in the document. When an individual list
number
is selected and told to restart, it doesn't. If you press ctrl-z, it will
restart, but the restart reverts to continuous once you make any other
change
in the document.

Thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Outlook doesn't support multilevel numbering. Even if it did, numbering
would be unlikely to work when you send the e-mail to someone else (who
might be using a completely different e-mail application).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"herholsj" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug[_3_] Doug[_3_] is offline

Steve,
I apologize. I had a typo there. It should have been Word 2013. I'm not sure where my brain was when I wrote that part.

Thanks,
Doug Logan

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi,

I want to have the text as follows:

Repro Steps:
1) My first step.
2) My second step.
3) My third step.

Second Repro Steps:
1) My first step.
2) My second step.
3) My third step.

The text before the numbering can always
be the same style. Right now I have it set as H6.
The numbered items are of a custom style I've
created called "Reproduction Steps".

Create a *List Style* where H6 is linked to level 1, and where Reproduction
Steps is linked to level 2. (Or where e. g. H6 is linked to level 7,
Reproduction Steps to level 8. It depends on your document's structure):
http://shaunakelly.com/word/numberin...g20072010.html

--
Cheers,
Lisa

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug[_3_] Doug[_3_] is offline

Lisa,
Thank-you so much for your help! I walked through the steps of that document and I was able to get things setup properly! Now I copy & paste a block of text that includes H6 and "Reproduction Steps" and the numbering for "Reproduction Steps" starts back at #1. This is going to save me tons of time!
For anyone else who is attempting this, I did have to re-apply my Styles after creating the "List Style" for the effect to take place.

Thanks again!

Doug

On Thursday, December 12, 2013 4:29:47 AM UTC-5, Lisa Wilke-Thissen wrote:
Hi,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, I'm glad you got it sorted.

And I'm sure Steve is happy too... :-)