Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jim jim is offline

Default increasing right margin causes last column to become too narrow

I have read various responses to this error in this group and none of
the solutions posted seem to have solved my problem.

I have an administrative user with a 200+ page document that has
multiple section breaks with different page layouts throughout. She is
using MS Office Profession 2003 on XP platform. We are trying to paste
text from a page into a new section of the document and keep getting
the following Microsoft Office Word error when we try to adjust the
margins:

Increasing right margin causes last column to become too narrow in some
sections having unevenly spaced columns.

This only happens in this document. Newly created documents do not
return this error, so it is not related to the Normal.dot template.
Also, I have tried to reset the default column spacing to one with
Equal column width checked (enabled), but when doing so receive the
following error:

Settings you chose for the left and right margins, column spacing, or
paragraph indents are too large for the page width in some sections.

Unfortunately, the length of the document makes it difficult to
pinpoint which section might be causing this error so I'm at a loss as
to the next step.

Please advise if you might be able to shed some light on this.

Thanks.

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: increasing right margin causes last column to become too narrow

It sounds like the issue you are experiencing is related to the column spacing and margins in your document. Here are a few steps you can try to resolve the issue:
  1. Check the column spacing: Go to the Page Layout tab and click on Columns. Make sure that the column spacing is set to "Equal column width" and that the number of columns is consistent throughout the document.
  2. Adjust the margins: Go to the Page Layout tab and click on Margins. Try adjusting the margins to see if this resolves the issue. If you receive an error message, try adjusting the margins in smaller increments until you find a setting that works.
  3. Check for section breaks: As you mentioned, your document has multiple section breaks with different page layouts. Check each section to make sure that the column spacing and margins are consistent within each section. You can do this by going to the Page Layout tab, clicking on Breaks, and selecting Next Page under Section Breaks.
  4. Use the ruler: You can also use the ruler to adjust the margins and column spacing. Go to the View tab and make sure that Ruler is checked. Then, click and drag the markers on the ruler to adjust the margins and column spacing.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it may be helpful to try copying and pasting the text into a new document and formatting it from scratch. This can help to eliminate any hidden formatting or section breaks that may be causing the issue.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

This can usually be remedied by clicking on the One preset picture in Format
| Columns (and apply to "Whole document").

"jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jim jim is offline

Thank you. Your response solved my problem. As you can see in the
linked screen shot, I did not see the "Whole Document" option in the
drop-down menu. An interface usability issue for sure!

http://edtech.guhsd.net/Images/column_format.gif

-Jim Epler

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
This can usually be remedied by clicking on the One preset picture in Format
| Columns (and apply to "Whole document").

"jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] dennisraymeier@gmail.com is offline

Wonderful! Thanks!

I was having the same problem, and although I could not see the "Whole
document" option, selecting all sections after the current section
resolved the issue for me.

I would, however, like to know how the problem manifested itself in the
first place.

Dennis Meier
Associate Engineer and Editor
Idaho Department of Environmental Quality

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
This can usually be remedied by clicking on the One preset picture in Format
| Columns (and apply to "Whole document").

"jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You're not the only one who would like to know how this happens. It
shouldn't happen in Word 2003 or in fully patched Word 2002, I think, but in
earlier versions it was caused by use of the Columns button (rather than the
Columns dialog) to format a section into multiple columns. Using the button
did not cause the "Equal column width" box to be checked; changing the
margins somehow ends up with one column being margin width and the other
zero width or something equally bizarre.

ups.com...

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
This can usually be remedied by clicking on the One preset picture in

Format
| Columns (and apply to "Whole document").

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

ERROR MESSAGE: INCREASING LEFT MARGIN CAUSES 1ST COLUMN TO BECOME. LLunger Microsoft Word Help 3 May 6th 23 08:48 PM
increasing margin debchuck Page Layout 1 February 24th 06 07:33 PM
How do I remove returns in a long narrow column of Word text? D Microsoft Word Help 1 November 21st 05 11:04 PM
Different column and margin settings on second page bakerbiz Microsoft Word Help 2 July 27th 05 12:31 AM
Dragging table column resets Sedonakids Tables 0 January 12th 05 02:11 AM