Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andrew Andrew is offline

Default Cannot enter caption text

I am using MS Word 2003 and trying to enter captions unsuccessfully into an
existing document that I am updating. When I right click on any table to
insert a caption, the caption dialog box opens but I cannot type in a
caption: that area of the dialog box will not activate. I can choose a Table
label, a numbering scheme, click OK and then I have the caption, "Table 1,"
but that's it.

I tested this on other documents and new documents and the caption feature
works just fine. For example, if I insert a table caption, when the dialog
box opens the cursor is in the Caption box, the text reads "Table 1" and then
I can enter ": Q1 Data" to read "Table 1: Q1 Data."

I tried copying and pasting the entire document into a new document or
pasting a functioning captioned table into the offending document, but still
cannot get it to work.

As a work around I can just insert all of the captions as generic, Table 1,
Table 2, Table 3, and then type the text labels I want directly into the
document after the actual captions, but that's not ideal.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what's causing the problem and how to
resolve it I would greatly appreciate your help. Cheers.

Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andrew Andrew is offline

That's it exactly. As soon as I changed the Caption style in the document
from center to left aligned I saw the text in the caption box as I normally
would expect to see it.

Although easily resolved, that's definitely an annoying little quirk.

Thanks so much for your response

Andrew

"Andrew" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I have been dealing with exactly the same issue today, and it's one of those
"What were they thinking?" issues that reinforces the view that Word
developers don't actually use Word.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is your Caption style centered or right-aligned? This type of formatting
results in the text being hard to see in the dialog.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Andrew" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Matt Lee Matt Lee is offline

Just ran into this today - let me mention that it is October 2008, and the
original post here was from Jan. 2007. I, as the first poster wrote,
originally thought that the textbox wouldn't take focus - but really it was
just displaying text out of view. Yikes. Should be a simple fix, but I can't
seem to find anywhere to submit a bug to MS...