Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chipper Chipper is offline

Default Templates vs. Style Sets

I have used Styles extensively in previous versions of Word and I have
created/modified templates to accomplish my purposes. However, with Word 2007
I noticed I can do much the same thing with Style Sets. Is there an
advantage/disadvantage to doing this? What is the basic differences between
uysing one or the other?

Thanks in advance for your consideration!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Well, the obvious difference is that style sets only store style formatting,
while templates also store section formatting (headers, footers, columns,
page setup), and contents. In addition, a template may include macros,
keyboard assignments, and building blocks which can be used by the document
to which it is attached.

Style sets provide a way to quickly change the appearance of text. Attaching
a different template via the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box does the same
thing, and gives you access to macros, keyboard assignments, and building
blocks (assuming there are such items defined in the template).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP