Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Marilyn Marilyn is offline

Default Error Message when I try to Insert an Object

I'm trying to insert a .DAT object in my Word 2003 Document. and I get the
following error message:

This object was created in Package. This application is not available to
open this object. Make sure the application is properly installed and that it
has not been deleted, moved, or renamed

I use to be able to insert the same object months ago and I dont understand
why I can't do it now. Has anyone seen this type of Error in Word?

Please Help!!!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

It means that on your computer, now, .dat files are associated with an
application that Word can't use for inserting objects into your document.
Either you've uninstalled the application you were using some months ago, or
you've subsequently installed some other software that also uses the .dat
file extension. The appalling MYOB is a common culprit.

"Marilyn" wrote in message
I'm trying to insert a .DAT object in my Word 2003 Document. and I get
the
following error message:

This object was created in Package. This application is not available to
open this object. Make sure the application is properly installed and that
it
has not been deleted, moved, or renamed

I use to be able to insert the same object months ago and I dont
understand
why I can't do it now. Has anyone seen this type of Error in Word?

Please Help!!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's accounting software (MYOB stands for Mind Your Own Business). See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MYOB_(software).

"Marilyn" wrote in message
What exactly is "MYOB"

"Marilyn" wrote in message
I'm trying to insert a .DAT object in my Word 2003 Document. and I

get
the
following error message:

This object was created in Package. This application is not available

open this object. Make sure the application is properly installed and

that
it
has not been deleted, moved, or renamed

I use to be able to insert the same object months ago and I dont
understand
why I can't do it now. Has anyone seen this type of Error in Word?

Please Help!!!!!

skits2 skits2 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
I'm trying to insert a .DAT object in my Word 2003 Document. and I get the
following error message:

This object was created in Package. This application is not available to
open this object. Make sure the application is properly installed and that it
has not been deleted, moved, or renamed

I use to be able to insert the same object months ago and I dont understand
why I can't do it now. Has anyone seen this type of Error in Word?

Please Help!!!!!

I had this problem when I got a new computer. The program that you want to use to package on object, such as a zip file into a word document is Packager.exe. This is located at C:\windows\system32\packager.exe

However the issue is that Word may not sometimes reference that program when trying to package object. As such, you might be able to embed other word documents, powerpoints, excel files, etc, but not embed zip files or images. The solution is just to launch packager (by double clicking it) and embedding a document manually.

After I did it manually one time on my new computer, then word knew to reference packager for zip files in the future, and the embedding worked.