Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beyond X Beyond X is offline

Default Adding only new files to a backup folder

I have a folder containing some five thousand files sorted in numerous
subfolders, totaling about 800GB so far and counting. I occasionally
add a new file to an appropriate subfolder.
So far I safegurd by copying the entire folder on a backup drive. Such
a task naturally takes long, long time (two days or longer) even
though only a small fraction of the files population is newly created
or modified.
I am looking for a way that first compares the backup folder witht the
parent folder to isolate newly added files and then copies them to the
existing backup folder. This way I should be able to save a huge
amount of waiting time.
Is there a backup or copying software which can just do it?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz [RMF] Robert M. Franz [RMF] is offline

Hello Beyond

Beyond X wrote:
I have a folder containing some five thousand files sorted in numerous
subfolders, totaling about 800GB so far and counting. I occasionally add
a new file to an appropriate subfolder.
So far I safegurd by copying the entire folder on a backup drive. Such a
task naturally takes long, long time (two days or longer) even though
only a small fraction of the files population is newly created or modified.
I am looking for a way that first compares the backup folder witht the
parent folder to isolate newly added files and then copies them to the
existing backup folder. This way I should be able to save a huge amount
of waiting time.
Is there a backup or copying software which can just do it?

I hope anything that calls itself backup software is up to the job!

You've asked this in a newsgroup for Microsoft Word, though -- I hope
you don't want to do this with Word (even though it might be possible
with VBA :-)).

I think even XCOPY or COPY (in cmd.exe or a batch file) should be up to
the job. That's what the DOS Archive-Flag is for.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |