Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John John is offline

Default How to make ink pen markings stick with the text when it moves?

I have a tablet and like to review my documents with the pen in Word. I will
circle words or sections and write comments in the margin and even directly
on the text..

The problems is when I add or remove lines above the marked section, the pen
markings and the text move independently and I lose the context of my changes
or remarks.

Anyone know how I can make the pen markings stick with the text they were
written on when I move that text around?

Or do you know that it can't be done? This, of course. would make Word much
less valuable on a tablet.

Thanks for your help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

In essence, an ink mark-up is no different from any other
graphic. It can be set to "Move with text" or to be static
in relation to the page. In a quick test I just made, "Move
with text" is the default, but that could change if you
start dragging the markup around, I suppose...

You can access the "Move with text" option through the
standard graphics formatting dialog box.(You don't mention
the version of Word, so I can't give you exact steps how to
get there, but the right-click menu is usually good.) Go to
the Layout tab and click "Advanced".

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update
Jun 17 2005)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John John is offline

Thanks for the help, Cindy.

I tried it out and you are correct - the default behavior is that the ink
moves with the text. I tried erasures, edits and a move of a sub-block in
the pen comments and the default behavior seemed to be maintained - the pen
written comments tracked with the text. I'm not sure what I did to lose the
desired default behavior but it has happened more than once.

I'm working in Word 2007.

Thinking that I'm likely to run into this again I tried a right click on the
pen comments graphic. No move with text' option is offered in 2007, just
Order, Grouping, Format Ink, etc. ; and nothing I could identify in the
Format Ink property sheet. Neither the Page Layout tab nor the Pen tab (which
appears when the pen comment is selected) have an 'Advanced' option or a
'Move with text' choice and I can't identify any equivalent.

Do you have any idea where the 'Move with text' option might be in Word
2007? Or if it has been dropped in the upgrade?

Appreciatively,

John

"Cindy M." wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Sm9obg==?=,

Thinking that I'm likely to run into this again I tried a right click on the
pen comments graphic. No move with text' option is offered in 2007, just
Order, Grouping, Format Ink, etc. ;

Format Ink brings up a dialog box. Layout/Advanced/Picture Position (same as
for any graphic)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

akonpittbull akonpittbull is offline
Junior Member

This is normal problem of the word, I think you should use the select tool for the selection which can gives you the selection of whole elements like lines and alphabets and anything more if you have selected.