Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RichD[_2_] RichD[_2_] is offline

Default text formatting question

I'm trying to do this:within a single paragraph, use both a
10 point font and 30 point font. The small font would go in
the left half, the large font in the right half.

Something like: (fixed forrnat)

ABCDEFGHIJ
ABCDEFGHIJ XXXXXX
ABCDEFGHIJ XX
ABCDEFGHIJ XXXXXX
ABCDEFGHIJ
ABCDEFGHIJ

..... where the X is a 30 point Z, ABCD is 10 point characters.

How to accomplish this? Do I need a desktop publishing
program? I have access to Microsoft Publisher, but I
don't look forward to the learning curve on that.

--
Rich

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unless I'm misinterpreting your requirement, I'd say a two-cell unbordered
table would fill the bill.

http://word.mvps.org

"RichD" wrote in message
I'm trying to do this:within a single paragraph, use both a
10 point font and 30 point font. The small font would go in
the left half, the large font in the right half.

Something like: (fixed forrnat)

ABCDEFGHIJ
ABCDEFGHIJ XXXXXX
ABCDEFGHIJ XX
ABCDEFGHIJ XXXXXX
ABCDEFGHIJ
ABCDEFGHIJ

.... where the X is a 30 point Z, ABCD is 10 point characters.

How to accomplish this? Do I need a desktop publishing
program? I have access to Microsoft Publisher, but I
don't look forward to the learning curve on that.

--
Rich

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.office.misc
RichD[_2_] RichD[_2_] is offline

On Jun 18, 7:06*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Unless I'm misinterpreting your requirement, I'd say a two-cell
unbordered table would fill the bill.

I see, the cells would be side by side, each withs its own format.
Thanks!

Another question, similar to the previous: does
Word do overlays, for printing? I want to print a
paragraph, with a small font. On top of that, I
want a single, larger character, different font.

I'm thinking of 2 Word files, aligned precisely, then
send both to the printer, printed on a single page.
Doable? Or do I need a desktop publishing program?

--
Rich

I'm trying to do this:within a single paragraph, use both a
10 point font and 30 point font. *The small font would go in
the left half, the large font in the right half.

Something like: *(fixed forrnat)

ABCDEFGHIJ
ABCDEFGHIJ * * XXXXXX
ABCDEFGHIJ * * * * *XX
ABCDEFGHIJ * * XXXXXX
ABCDEFGHIJ
ABCDEFGHIJ

.... where the X is a 30 point Z, ABCD is 10 point characters.

How to accomplish this? *Do I need a desktop publishing
program? I have access to Microsoft Publisher, but I
don't look forward to the learning curve on that.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.office.misc

You could use a "watermark" (which is simply anchoring a graphic in a
header, with the graphic being a text box placed where you want it).

What do you mean by "on top of"? Do you want the big character to
obscure the paragraph of small print?

On Jun 23, 7:19*pm, RichD wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.office.misc

You can create a text box with No Fill and No Line and format it as In Front
of Text or Behind Text to get the layering you want.

http://word.mvps.org

"RichD" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.office.misc
RichD[_2_] RichD[_2_] is offline

On Jun 23, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
You could use a "watermark" (which is simply anchoring
a graphic in a header, with the graphic being a text box
placed where you want it).

?
Donīt follow this.
Anyhow, I want it in the body, not a header.

What do you mean by "on top of"? Do you want the big
character to obscure the paragraph of small print?

Sort of. The large character would be a thin
font, whille the underlying text would be bold,
so the obscuring should be minor.

--
Rich

Another question, similar to the previous: does
Word do overlays, for printing? *I want to print a
paragraph, with a small font. *On top of that, I
want a single, larger character, different font.

I'm thinking of 2 Word files, aligned precisely, then
send both to the printer, printed on a single page.
Doable? *Or do I need a desktop publishing program?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.office.misc
RichD[_2_] RichD[_2_] is offline

On Jun 23, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
You can create a text box with No Fill and No Line and
format it as In Front of Text or Behind Text to get the
layering you want.

?
No comprendo.
Can you recommend a book or web page that would
explain this in more detail?

--
Rich

Another question, similar to the previous: does
Word do overlays, for printing? *I want to print a
paragraph, with a small font. *On top of that, I
want a single, larger character, different font.

I'm thinking of 2 Word files, aligned precisely, then
send both to the printer, printed on a single page.
Doable? *Or do I need a desktop publishing program?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.office.misc

With your cursor in a header, you draw your text box wherever you want
it.

Suzanne suggests creating your text box while you're in the main text,
but I've never been able to find a way to keep the text box and the
main text properly aligned. Maybe if it's the very last change you
make to the document.

On Jun 25, 2:43*pm, RichD wrote:
On Jun 23, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

You could use a "watermark" (which is simply anchoring
a graphic in a header, with the graphic being a text box
placed where you want it).

?
Donīt follow this.
Anyhow, I want it in the body, not a header.

What do you mean by "on top of"? Do you want the big
character to obscure the paragraph of small print?

Sort of. *The large character would be a thin
font, whille the underlying text would be bold,
so the obscuring should be minor.

Another question, similar to the previous: does
Word do overlays, for printing? *I want to print a
paragraph, with a small font. *On top of that, I
want a single, larger character, different font.

I'm thinking of 2 Word files, aligned precisely, then
send both to the printer, printed on a single page.
Doable? *Or do I need a desktop publishing program?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.office.misc

You can specify the position of the text box relative to the paragraph or a
single character in it.

http://word.mvps.org

On Jun 25, 2:43 pm, RichD wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.office.misc

I can provide further detail if you tell me which version of Word you're
using.

http://word.mvps.org

"RichD" wrote in message
On Jun 23, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
You can create a text box with No Fill and No Line and
format it as In Front of Text or Behind Text to get the
layering you want.

?
No comprendo.
Can you recommend a book or web page that would
explain this in more detail?

--
Rich

Another question, similar to the previous: does
Word do overlays, for printing? I want to print a
paragraph, with a small font. On top of that, I
want a single, larger character, different font.

I'm thinking of 2 Word files, aligned precisely, then
send both to the printer, printed on a single page.
Doable? Or do I need a desktop publishing program?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.office.misc

Yeah -- but if the reference paragraph or character moves, you're in
trouble!

On Jun 25, 4:22*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
You can specify the position of the text box relative to the paragraph or a
single character in it.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in ...

On Jun 25, 2:43 pm, RichD wrote:

On Jun 23, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

You could use a "watermark" (which is simply anchoring
a graphic in a header, with the graphic being a text box
placed where you want it).

?
Don t follow this.
Anyhow, I want it in the body, not a header.

What do you mean by "on top of"? Do you want the big
character to obscure the paragraph of small print?

Sort of. The large character would be a thin
font, whille the underlying text would be bold,
so the obscuring should be minor.

Another question, similar to the previous: does
Word do overlays, for printing? I want to print a
paragraph, with a small font. On top of that, I
want a single, larger character, different font.

I'm thinking of 2 Word files, aligned precisely, then
send both to the printer, printed on a single page.
Doable? Or do I need a desktop publishing program?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.office.misc

Not if your intention is to keep the text box in the same position relative
to the paragraph to which it is anchored. And if not, you can specify a
position relative to the page or margins.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.office.misc

Well, I guess we don't know for sure what he's trying to do. If it's a
watermark sort of thing he wants, then he wants it to stay on a given page
in a given location. If, as I originally assumed, he's trying to create a
sort of graphic by superimposing text, then I would assume it's a fairly
small block and needs to be kept together. He could ensure this by
formatting the paragraph as "Keep lines together."

We may never know, however, since he hasn't even come back to say what
version of Word he has.

On Jun 25, 2:43 pm, RichD wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.office.misc
RichD[_2_] RichD[_2_] is offline

On Jun 25, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I can provide further detail if you tell me which version of Word you're
using.

Microsoft Office Word 2003
Also, Microsoft Office Publisher 2003

--
Rich

You can create a text box with No Fill and No Line and
format it as In Front of Text or Behind Text to get the
layering you want.

?
No comprendo.
Can you recommend a book or web page that would
explain this in more detail?

Another question, similar to the previous: does
Word do overlays, for printing? I want to print a
paragraph, with a small font. On top of that, I
want a single, larger character, different font.

I'm thinking of 2 Word files, aligned precisely, then
send both to the printer, printed on a single page.
Doable? Or do I need a desktop publishing program?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.office.misc

Use Insert | Text Box to insert the text box (draw it to the desired size
and drag it to the desired location). Double-click on the hashed border of
the box (or right-click and select Format Text Box). On the Colors and Lines
tab, choose No Fill and No Line. Note that there will be an inner margin (if
you have text boundaries displayed, you'll see it as a dotted line inside
the dotted line indicating the outside of the box). You can change this on
the Text Box tab of Format Text Box. On the Layout tab of the dialog, you
can choose the desired wrapping (assumed to be In Front of Text); click
Advanced to get to the Picture Position tab that allows you to specify the
placement exactly relative to the paragraph it's anchored to, the margins,
or the page.

http://word.mvps.org

"RichD" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.office.misc
RichD[_2_] RichD[_2_] is offline

On Jun 27, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Use Insert | Text Box to insert the text box (draw it to the desired size
and drag it to the desired location). Double-click on the hashed border
of the box (or right-click and select Format Text Box). On the Colors
and Lines tab, choose No Fill and No Line. Note that there will be
an inner margin (if you have text boundaries displayed, you'll see it
as a dotted line inside
the dotted line indicating the outside of the box). You can change this on
the Text Box tab of Format Text Box. On the Layout tab of the dialog,
you can choose the desired wrapping (assumed to be In Front of Text);
click Advanced to get to the Picture Position tab that allows you to
specify the placement exactly relative to the paragraph it's anchored to,
the margins, or the page.

Thanks, I would never have sussed that on my own.

PS If Word can do all that, what do people use a desktop
publishing program for?

--
Rich

I can provide further detail if you tell me which version of Word you're
using.

Microsoft Office Word 2003
Also, Microsoft Office Publisher 2003

You can create a text box with No Fill and No Line and
format it as In Front of Text or Behind Text to get the
layering you want.

?
No comprendo.
Can you recommend a book or web page that would
explain this in more detail?

Another question, similar to the previous: does
Word do overlays, for printing? I want to print a
paragraph, with a small font. On top of that, I
want a single, larger character, different font.

I'm thinking of 2 Word files, aligned precisely, then
send both to the printer, printed on a single page.
Doable? Or do I need a desktop publishing program?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.office.misc

Word really isn't a page layout program. There are some things it doesn't
handle well at all, such as wrapping text around full-page illustrations
(i.e., text on page 2 continuing on page 4 with a graphic on page 3). For
that you do need a DTP app.

http://word.mvps.org