savo savo is offline
Junior Member

Default Multiple TOCs in Word 2010

Hi,

I appreciate some assistance with a large Word document that I'm having some difficulty with in respect to adding multiple TOCs.

My document is currently 315 pages long and I have a TOC at the beginning of the document that navigates to all sections within the doc.

I have around 15 other separate Word docs that I will be importing in to this one large document meaning the page account will be around 550 at the end.

I've copied and pasted the first doc into the large document (say between pages 280-285) and I have added a TOC for this document by using a bookmark as per the instructions on the link below:

http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-g...on=14&lc=en-gb.

The problem is, though it creates this second TOC, it also populates the main TOC at the beginning of the document which I don't want it to do. It also adds further bookmark in the navigation pane which I don't want it to do - which is fine as I presumed I could easily delete these yet when I do delete these from the navigation pane it deletes the text it refers to as well.

I hope this makes sense and appreciate any guidance.

Cheers,

Gary

Edit: I'm just wondering if the problem is that the new TOCs will not be sequential; that is, the main TOC will overlap all other TOCs.

Last edited by savo : February 20th 13 at 03:21 PM
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To limit the scope of a TOC, you can make use of a bookmark. See
http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/TOCTips.htm#PartialTOC.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

http://tinyurl.com/a484zsj.

The problem is, though it creates this second TOC, it also populates the
main TOC at the beginning of the document which I don't want it to do.
It also adds further bookmark in the navigation pane which I don't want
it to do - which is fine as I presumed I could easily delete these yet
when I do delete these from the navigation pane it deletes the text it
refers to as well.

I hope this makes sense and appreciate any guidance.

Cheers,

Gary

Edit: I'm just wondering if the problem is that the new TOCs will not
be sequential; that is, the main TOC will overlap all other TOCs.

--
savo

savo savo is offline
Junior Member

Hi Stefan,

Does that mean I need to put my first TOC into a bookmark? Though, that TOC overlaps the other TOCs...

Currently, I have placed the second TOC into a bookmark yet the headings still appear in both TOCs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post

"savo" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The bookmark should enclose the location (in the document) which should be
"scanned" by the TOC field. In the TOC field, you add the bookmark name as
explained in the article.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"savo" wrote in message

Hi Stefan,

Does that mean I need to put my first TOC into a bookmark? Though,
that TOC overlaps the other TOCs...

Currently, I have placed the second TOC into a bookmark yet the headings
still appear in both TOCs.

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;494021']To limit the scope of a TOC, you can make use of a bookmark.
See
http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/TOCTips.htm#PartialTOC.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"savo" wrote in message
...-

[...]

savo savo is offline
Junior Member

I've been messing about with this for a while and have set up the bookmark exactly as instructed using the \b switch.

When I generate the new TOC it creates it as is should; however, when I update the other 'main' TOC the new sections also appear here as well which is what I don't want. I'd also prefer it if the new TOC doesn't appear in the navigation pane, which it does, presumably as it's using the Header styles.

Presumably I'm doing something wrong!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi,

I've been messing about with this for a while
and have set up the bookmark exactly as
instructed using the \b switch.

to create a bookmarks, first you have to select text in the main
document, where the headings are. You must *not* select the TOC itself.
Then you have to create the bookmark (Insert | Hyperlinks | Bookmark |
Bookmark name | Add).
In the TOC field code you have to use the \b switch together with the
given bookmark.

To check, where your bookmarks start, and where they end, display the
brackets:
File | Options | Advanced | Show document content | Show bookmarks.

To select content of bookmarks: Insert | Hyperlink | Bookmark |
Bookmark name | Sort by Name | Go To.
(Maybe, you also want to see "Hidden bookmarks".)

When I generate the new TOC it creates it as is should;
however, when I update the other 'main' TOC the new
sections also appear here as well which is what I don't want.

Then you have to create another bookmark for the section, which should
appear in the main TOC. Or you have to use different styles.

I'd also prefer it if the new TOC doesn't
appear in the navigation pane, which it does,
presumably as it's using the Header styles.

The Navigation pane does not explicitely display styles, or headings.
"Outline levels" are shown in the Navigation pane.

--
Cheers,
Lisa [MS MVP Word]