Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Denys Denys is offline

Default mail merge

Thanks for helping me as I am a beginner with mail merge.
I have an Access database with information regarding perennial plants. I
need to print labels for each one of the plants. My problem is that I can't
figure out the mail merge to print more than one label at times. let's say
I have plant "A" with a quantity of 20, I want to mail merge to print 20
labels of Plant "A" as well as carrying on printing the other labels also.
Is it possible?

Thanks
Denys

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

To do this, first you will need to create a catalog (or in Word XP and
later, it is called "directory") type mailmerge in the maindocument of which
you insert a one row table into the cells of which you insert the field
names from your data source.
If the number of labels required for each record is in the data source,
insert the name of that field in the last cell of the row. If it is not
contained in the data source, have one empty cell at the end of the row.

Then you execute that merge to a new document. The new document that is
created will contain a row of data for each record in the data source. If
the data source did not include a field with the required number of each
label, enter those numbers in the last column of the table in this new
document.

Then with that document as the active document, run a macro that contains
the following code:

Dim i As Long, j As Long, k As Long, numlabels As Long
Dim source As Document
Dim stable As Table, ttable As Table
Dim arow As Row
Dim numrange As Range

Set source = ActiveDocument
Set stable = source.Tables(1)
k = stable.Columns.Count
For i = stable.Rows.Count To 1 Step -1
Set numrange = stable.Cell(i, k).Range
numrange.End = numrange.End - 1
numlabels = Val(numrange.Text)
If numlabels 1 Then
stable.Rows(i).Range.Copy
For j = 2 To numlabels
stable.Rows(i).Range.Paste
Next j
End If
Next i

This will increase the number of rows of data for each record to the number
of labels that you want. Now, you must insert a row at the top of this
document and enter the field names into the cells of that row. Then save
this document and use it as the data source for creating your labels by mail
merge.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Denys" wrote in message
Thanks for helping me as I am a beginner with mail merge.
I have an Access database with information regarding perennial plants. I
need to print labels for each one of the plants. My problem is that I
can't figure out the mail merge to print more than one label at times.
let's say I have plant "A" with a quantity of 20, I want to mail merge to
print 20 labels of Plant "A" as well as carrying on printing the other
labels also. Is it possible?

Thanks
Denys

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Denys[_2_] Denys[_2_] is offline

Hi Doug,
I did what you said but it is not working. Maybe I need to change something
in the macro language?? The field containing the number of each label is
called: "Quantity". Not sure where to go from here.

Tx
Denys

"Denys" wrote in message
Thanks for helping me as I am a beginner with mail merge.
I have an Access database with information regarding perennial plants. I
need to print labels for each one of the plants. My problem is that I
can't figure out the mail merge to print more than one label at times.
let's say I have plant "A" with a quantity of 20, I want to mail merge to
print 20 labels of Plant "A" as well as carrying on printing the other
labels also. Is it possible?

Thanks
Denys

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Tell me exactly what you did.

Did you have the quantity field as the last field in the catalog or
directory type mail merge main document?

When you executed that merge to a new document, what did you get?

--

"Denys" wrote in message
Thanks for helping me as I am a beginner with mail merge.
I have an Access database with information regarding perennial plants.
need to print labels for each one of the plants. My problem is that I
can't figure out the mail merge to print more than one label at times.
let's say I have plant "A" with a quantity of 20, I want to mail merge
print 20 labels of Plant "A" as well as carrying on printing the other
labels also. Is it possible?

Thanks
Denys

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Denys[_2_] Denys[_2_] is offline

ok, I'm using Office XP. the page has 10 row/labels.
each label contains:

«CommonName»

except for the first row where the next record is not there.

When I executed the merge to a new document, I get several pages of labels
but only one label of each, some records have 2 - 12 as quantity, but only
one label is printed.

I executed the macro after the new document was created, and nothing happened.

Denys

"Denys" wrote in message
Thanks for helping me as I am a beginner with mail merge.
I have an Access database with information regarding perennial plants.
need to print labels for each one of the plants. My problem is that I
can't figure out the mail merge to print more than one label at times.
let's say I have plant "A" with a quantity of 20, I want to mail merge
print 20 labels of Plant "A" as well as carrying on printing the other
labels also. Is it possible?

Thanks
Denys

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

No wonder it does not work. You have not followed the instructions that I
gave you which we

[...]

Please read the whole thing and do exactly as I have instructed WITHOUT
LEAVING OUT ANY OF THE STEPS.

--

"Denys" wrote in message
Thanks for helping me as I am a beginner with mail merge.
I have an Access database with information regarding perennial
plants.
need to print labels for each one of the plants. My problem is that
can't figure out the mail merge to print more than one label at
times.
let's say I have plant "A" with a quantity of 20, I want to mail
merge
print 20 labels of Plant "A" as well as carrying on printing the
other
labels also. Is it possible?

Thanks
Denys

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Denys[_2_] Denys[_2_] is offline

I'm sorry about your frustration, I finally got it work. Being a newbie at
this, I had a hard time understanding the process.

THanks so much for your help and patience.

Denys

"Denys" wrote in message
Thanks for helping me as I am a beginner with mail merge.
I have an Access database with information regarding perennial
plants.
need to print labels for each one of the plants. My problem is that
can't figure out the mail merge to print more than one label at
times.
let's say I have plant "A" with a quantity of 20, I want to mail
merge
print 20 labels of Plant "A" as well as carrying on printing the
other
labels also. Is it possible?

Thanks
Denys

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
hirendra7158 hirendra7158 is offline

denys,
I did not exactly follow the instructins laid by Mr. Robbins since this code
things are still out of my reach. Will you please be kind enough to describe
me step by step again, and how did you do it, for me?
I seem to be a more recent newbie than you!.
thabnking you.
Dr. H.R.Shah

"Denys" wrote in message
Thanks for helping me as I am a beginner with mail merge.
I have an Access database with information regarding perennial
plants.
need to print labels for each one of the plants. My problem is that
can't figure out the mail merge to print more than one label at
times.
let's say I have plant "A" with a quantity of 20, I want to mail
merge
print 20 labels of Plant "A" as well as carrying on printing the
other
labels also. Is it possible?

Thanks
Denys

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

See the article "What do I do with macros sent to me by other newsgroup
readers to help me out?" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...eateAMacro.htm

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Tell me exactly what you did.

Did you have the quantity field as the last field in the catalog or
directory type mail merge main document?

When you executed that merge to a new document, what did you get?

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my