aryev

Default Opening multiple documents in the same program window

In older versions of Word, you could open two or three document files in the
same program window--so that, for instance, you could open a document, a file
for notes, and a file for research all of which pertain to one project, and
have them all together in a single program window, and in another program
window you could do the same thing for another project. This way, you could
toggle between projects, each with multiple document files open.
On newer versions of Word (I'm using 2002) each document file opens in its
own program window. Apparently there is no way to group together related
documents in the same window. Is there any way to fix this? Please help!
Tony Jollans

In Word 2000 you have no choice but in later versions you do.

Under Tools Options View (tab) Show (section) uncheck "Windows in
Taskbar"

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"aryev" wrote in message
In older versions of Word, you could open two or three document files in

the
same program window--so that, for instance, you could open a document, a

file
for notes, and a file for research all of which pertain to one project,

and
have them all together in a single program window, and in another program
window you could do the same thing for another project. This way, you

could
toggle between projects, each with multiple document files open.
On newer versions of Word (I'm using 2002) each document file opens in its
own program window. Apparently there is no way to group together related
documents in the same window. Is there any way to fix this? Please help!

aryev

Thanks for the reply!
Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work. What happens is, I can open two or
three document files in the same program window (when "Windows in Taskbar" is
unchecked), but when I try to open another program window, Word 2002 just
takes me back to the one already open.
I need to be able to have three files open in one program window, three
files in another, and so on.

Do I have to go back to Word 97, which could handle this problem easily?

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

In Word 2000 you have no choice but in later versions you do.

Under Tools Options View (tab) Show (section) uncheck "Windows in
Taskbar"

--
Enjoy,
Tony

Tony Jollans

To do that you need multiple instances of word.

Open your three documents in Word, and arrange your windows as you want
them.
To open a new instance, enter Start Run, and type winword /w
You can then open more documents in that instance and they will not
interfere with the others
And so on until you run out of memory I suppose

--
Enjoy,
Tony

news

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

In Word 2000 you have no choice but in later versions you do.

Under Tools Options View (tab) Show (section) uncheck "Windows in
Taskbar"

--
Enjoy,
Tony

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Ah. So, you want to be able to start multiple instances of Word, each with
their own set of documents. So, if you start Word twice, it'll show up twice
on the task bar. And if you open 3 docs in one and 3 docs in the other, each
instance will control its own 3 docs. Is that correct?

If so, then create a new desktop shortcut for Word -- the built-in one that
setup installs can't be modified correctly. In its properties, in the Target
field, add the /n switch after winword.exe" (e.g., ...winword.exe" /n). This
does two things. First, it starts without a blank Document 1 window. Second,
it starts a new independent instance of Word that does what you want.

If you *want* a new blank document window as well, then add the following
after the /n switch:

/mfilenewdefault

For example, it might look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE" /n /mfilenewdefault

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

In Word 2000 you have no choice but in later versions you do.

Under Tools Options View (tab) Show (section) uncheck "Windows in
Taskbar"

--
Enjoy,
Tony

aryev

You're exactly right in the diagnosis of the problem. I do need multiple
instances of Word open.
Unfortunately, whether I try to open Word from the Start Menu or desktop, or
go through the StartRun box as you suggested, Word keeps coming back to the
same old program window, and just gives me a new blank document file. (By the
way, in the StartRun box, I have to use "winword", and not "winword/w",
which creates an error message.)
Surely there is some way to do what I need to do with the updated,
"improved" versions of Word (mine is 2002)? Or do I have to (and am I even
able to) load the old Word '97 onto a computer running a later version of
Windows (I'm using XP)?

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

To do that you need multiple instances of word.

Open your three documents in Word, and arrange your windows as you want
them.
To open a new instance, enter Start Run, and type winword /w
You can then open more documents in that instance and they will not
interfere with the others
And so on until you run out of memory I suppose

--
Enjoy,
Tony

aryev

Herb--
Bless you! That works! A little more complicated than the older versions of
Word, but still, it works!

I am one very grateful writer.
aryev

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

In Word 2000 you have no choice but in later versions you do.

Under Tools Options View (tab) Show (section) uncheck "Windows in
Taskbar"

--
Enjoy,
Tony

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Glad it worked for you. I hope you also picked up on the fact that you can
substitute "/w" for "/n /mfilenewdefault" if you want Word to open with a
blank new document.

Cheers,

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP