Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Simon J[_2_] Simon J[_2_] is offline

Default Directory mail merge

Hi,

I'm trying to prepare a mailmerge that is a letter with part of the
letter listing several rows of data to the recipient. The recipient
information is in the data file 5 times as there are then 5 pieces of
data that need listing in part of the letter before the letter is then
finished. There is some other information in the data file that needs
to go in the letter but that is supplied 5 times and is identical.

Hope that made sense? Can anyone help as i'm getting 5 letters out
each with one piece of the unique data as aposed to a list.

Many thanks
Simon
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This is quite complicated to achieve as Word is not designed for this type
of merge - see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=294686

Simon J wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to prepare a mailmerge that is a letter with part of the
letter listing several rows of data to the recipient. The recipient
information is in the data file 5 times as there are then 5 pieces of
data that need listing in part of the letter before the letter is then
finished. There is some other information in the data file that needs
to go in the letter but that is supplied 5 times and is identical.

Hope that made sense? Can anyone help as i'm getting 5 letters out
each with one piece of the unique data as aposed to a list.

Many thanks
Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Simon,

Is this the same mailmerge process that was the subject of your post of 20 July?

If so, you need to embed the 'correspondence' within the body of the field coding, plus you'll need to add a dummy record at the end
of your data set in Excel. The process is a bit complicated, but you can see an example he
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=723456

--
Cheers
macropod

"Simon J" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I'm trying to prepare a mailmerge that is a letter with part of the
letter listing several rows of data to the recipient. The recipient
information is in the data file 5 times as there are then 5 pieces of
data that need listing in part of the letter before the letter is then
finished. There is some other information in the data file that needs
to go in the letter but that is supplied 5 times and is identical.

Hope that made sense? Can anyone help as i'm getting 5 letters out
each with one piece of the unique data as aposed to a list.

Many thanks
Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Take a look at http://cornell.veplan.net/article.aspx?&a=3815

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Simon J" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm trying to prepare a mailmerge that is a letter with part of the
letter listing several rows of data to the recipient. The recipient
information is in the data file 5 times as there are then 5 pieces of
data that need listing in part of the letter before the letter is then
finished. There is some other information in the data file that needs
to go in the letter but that is supplied 5 times and is identical.

Hope that made sense? Can anyone help as i'm getting 5 letters out
each with one piece of the unique data as aposed to a list.

Many thanks
Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Kimberly Kimberly is offline

I read the article from Cornell and the MS article 294686 and understand them
and have been successful implementing them. However, I'm wondering how to add
other merge field(s) at the bottom of the page or after the multiple records
only once (as if they were in the header), but before the page break.
For example an invoice: has header info at the top of the page, the middle
is multiple records (item, qty, price) and at the bottom a total for the
entire invoice. I can get this total field from the data source there is no
need to sum). I can't figure out how to get the total field at the bottom
without it showing multiple times. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

"Simon J" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm trying to prepare a mailmerge that is a letter with part of the
letter listing several rows of data to the recipient. The recipient
information is in the data file 5 times as there are then 5 pieces of
data that need listing in part of the letter before the letter is then
finished. There is some other information in the data file that needs
to go in the letter but that is supplied 5 times and is identical.

Hope that made sense? Can anyone help as i'm getting 5 letters out
each with one piece of the unique data as aposed to a list.

Many thanks
Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I do not think that it is possible to do that with that method of producing
such letters as any mergefields that you insert after the multiple data
items will pick up the data that applies to the next record.

If I was doing it, I would probably have the data in an Access database and
use a report in Access.

The other alternative is a "roll-your-own" substitute for mail merge that
uses a template as the main document and uses VBA code to interate through
the data source. creating new documents from the template when the key data
changes, and inserting the multiple data items into each letter prior to
going on to the next letter.

--

"Simon J" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm trying to prepare a mailmerge that is a letter with part of the
letter listing several rows of data to the recipient. The recipient
information is in the data file 5 times as there are then 5 pieces of
data that need listing in part of the letter before the letter is then
finished. There is some other information in the data file that needs
to go in the letter but that is supplied 5 times and is identical.

Hope that made sense? Can anyone help as i'm getting 5 letters out
each with one piece of the unique data as aposed to a list.

Many thanks
Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Kimberly,

For a working solution that you might be able to modify to suit your needs, see:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=723456
The example there is based on an Excel data source and requires you to insert a dummy 'last' data record into the data source.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Simon J" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm trying to prepare a mailmerge that is a letter with part of the
letter listing several rows of data to the recipient. The recipient
information is in the data file 5 times as there are then 5 pieces of
data that need listing in part of the letter before the letter is then
finished. There is some other information in the data file that needs
to go in the letter but that is supplied 5 times and is identical.

Hope that made sense? Can anyone help as i'm getting 5 letters out
each with one piece of the unique data as aposed to a list.

Many thanks
Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Hi Paul,

For some reason, the Landlord letter.doc opens up as a Letters type mail
merge main document and has to be changed to a Directory type document to
get it to work.

The problem remains however that if you insert a merge field somewhere in
the

Landlord General Information

Each time a tenant contacts the District to close their account, the account
will automatically revert back to the landlord.

Please notify the PUD if the tenant has vacated the addresses and has not
notified the PUD to close account.

that comes after the list of properties, that mergefield will display the
data from the next (landlord) record in the datasource, not data from the
landlord whose list of properties is included in that letter.

--

"Simon J" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm trying to prepare a mailmerge that is a letter with part of the
letter listing several rows of data to the recipient. The recipient
information is in the data file 5 times as there are then 5 pieces of
data that need listing in part of the letter before the letter is then
finished. There is some other information in the data file that needs
to go in the letter but that is supplied 5 times and is identical.

Hope that made sense? Can anyone help as i'm getting 5 letters out
each with one piece of the unique data as aposed to a list.

Many thanks
Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Doug,

I don't understand why the merge type changed but, nothwithstanding that, the field coding worked in my testing and met the needs of
the wopr poster.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Simon J" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I'm trying to prepare a mailmerge that is a letter with part of the
letter listing several rows of data to the recipient. The recipient
information is in the data file 5 times as there are then 5 pieces of
data that need listing in part of the letter before the letter is then
finished. There is some other information in the data file that needs
to go in the letter but that is supplied 5 times and is identical.

Hope that made sense? Can anyone help as i'm getting 5 letters out
each with one piece of the unique data as aposed to a list.

Many thanks
Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Hi Paul,

Yes, the field coding works as is, BUT, it does not include information
AFTER the list of properties (for example in your case in the "Landlord
General Information" section of the letter, where that information would be
provided by a merge field such as, in your example, { MERGEFIELD Desc }.

If you insert such a merge field in that location in the mail merge main
document, it will return information from the next record (the next
landlord) in the data source.

I do not know of any way in which this requirement can be met by the use of
such a construction.

--

"Simon J" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm trying to prepare a mailmerge that is a letter with part of the
letter listing several rows of data to the recipient. The recipient
information is in the data file 5 times as there are then 5 pieces
of
data that need listing in part of the letter before the letter is
then
finished. There is some other information in the data file that
needs
to go in the letter but that is supplied 5 times and is identical.

Hope that made sense? Can anyone help as i'm getting 5 letters out
each with one piece of the unique data as aposed to a list.

Many thanks
Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Doug,

Yes, I see now what you mean - sometimes it takes a while for the lights to come on.

--

"Simon J" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm trying to prepare a mailmerge that is a letter with part of the
letter listing several rows of data to the recipient. The recipient
information is in the data file 5 times as there are then 5 pieces
of
data that need listing in part of the letter before the letter is
then
finished. There is some other information in the data file that
needs
to go in the letter but that is supplied 5 times and is identical.

Hope that made sense? Can anyone help as i'm getting 5 letters out
each with one piece of the unique data as aposed to a list.

Many thanks
Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Hi Kimberly,

Another way of doing that, with such a field construction, would be to have
the data that you want to display after the multiple records contained in a
mergefield (you would probably have to add a new field in the data source in
the NEXT record in the data source AFTER the last of the multiple records
and to have a dummy record at the end of the datasource that contains just
that data for the last group of multiple records.

--

"Simon J" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm trying to prepare a mailmerge that is a letter with part of the
letter listing several rows of data to the recipient. The recipient
information is in the data file 5 times as there are then 5 pieces of
data that need listing in part of the letter before the letter is then
finished. There is some other information in the data file that needs
to go in the letter but that is supplied 5 times and is identical.

Hope that made sense? Can anyone help as i'm getting 5 letters out
each with one piece of the unique data as aposed to a list.

Many thanks
Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

In message of Tue, 19 Aug 2008
21:14:35 in microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields, macropod
writes
Hi Kimberly,

For a working solution that you might be able to modify to suit your
needs, see:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=723456
The example there is based on an Excel data source and requires you to
insert a dummy 'last' data record into the data source.

macropod,

I downloaded this, learnt a lot, and have some questions.

I can get a working merge by pasting code from "Catalogue Mailmerge
Tutorial.doc" to "Mailmerge Main Document.doc". I am unable to create my
own document to mimic "Mailmerge Main Document.doc".

The connection to "Catalogue Merge Data.xls" from "Mailmerge Main
Document.doc" uses a technique which is hidden to me. It allows the
folder to be relocated and maintain the connection. It does not use
Cindy Meister's VBA method to establish the connection.

The connection also allows money amounts like "$8,000" to be passed
where I see "8000" and refers to the whole document rather than a sheet.
How?

I am sure others will appreciate an explanation of the techniques.

Much less significant is the display of "Coffs Harbour" on a line which
has "Justify" set. On my example, Harbour is thrown to the right by the
justification; you avoid it. How?
There seems to be a normal space between the two words.
(Ctrl+F finds a space in Excel where I do not find anything like Word's
Hide/Unhide to show graphic glyphs to render whitespace.)

P.S.
Can you suggest a probe which will allow me to answer such questions for
myself? If necessary, I guess I could learn to read RTF ;(
--
Walter Briscoe
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Walter,

I am unable to create my own document to mimic "Mailmerge Main Document.doc".

The procedures for creating your own mailmerge main document, linked to your own data source, are set out in section headed 'Set Up
the Main Mailmerge Document'.

The connection to "Catalogue Merge Data.xls" from "Mailmerge Main Document.doc"
uses a technique which is hidden to me.

2. The 'Main Mailmerge Document' attached to the tutorial has already been through the process described at 1, above.

The connection also allows money amounts like "$8,000" to be passed where I see "8000"

3. The $ symbols in the tutorial's merged output appear in the tutorial's data file. If they don't appear in your data file and you
want them in your output, you'll need to format the relevant mergefields with the appropriate numeric picture switch. The field
coding under the heading 'Format the Output and/or Insert Additional Text Before the Repeated Data' has such a switch (see also
Word's help file for more details).

Much less significant is the display of "Coffs Harbour" on a line which has "Justify" set. On my example, Harbour is thrown to the
right by the justification; you avoid it. How?

4. In the tutorial, the paragraphs containing the mergefields were formatted with left & decimal tabs at 5 and 10cm, respectively.
That's what controls the paragraph layout. Obviously, if you paste the code into a paragraph with a different layout, the results
will differ.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message ...
[...]

;(
--
Walter Briscoe

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

In message of Mon, 8 Sep 2008
07:56:49 in microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields, macropod
writes

macropod,
Thanks for a prompt reply. The 9 hours difference between the UK and
Western Australia slows communication. I assume spring for you is dry.
Autumn in the UK is depressingly wet. (That's allowed me to confirm the
stereotype of Poms' weather obsession.)

Hi Walter,

I am unable to create my own document to mimic "Mailmerge Main Document.doc".

The procedures for creating your own mailmerge main document, linked to
your own data source, are set out in section headed 'Set Up the Main
Mailmerge Document'.

I confess I had followed those instructions without giving them much
attention. (I am using Word 2003 SP1 on Windows XP SP2) I read them
again. I set Tools/Options/General/Confirm conversion at Open" to get
the "Confirm Data Source" dialog (sic) where "OLE DB Database Files"
defaulted and "MS Excel Worksheets via DDE (*.xls)" and "Excel Files via
ODBC (*.xls)" were also offered. A "Show all" checkbox causes many more
offerings to be made. I decided to restrict my testing to those 3
offerings and to record macros to give some impression of what was
happening under the hood.
On reflection, I won't report my macros. I assume the work has already
been reported and would appreciate a reference.

"Excel Files via ODBC (*.xls)" caused a "Select Dialog" dialog to be
opened with nothing to select. I had to check "Tables", "Views", and
"System Tables" in the "Table Options" dialog selected by clicking the
"Options..." button to cause "Sheet1$" to be selectable and I duly
selected it.

The following were displayed:
Confirm Data Source Sales Selection from
OLE DB Database Files 2100 [Sheet1$] in "a.xls"
MS Excel Worksheets via DDE (*.xls) $2,100 [a.xl] in "a.xls!Entire Spreadsheet"
Excel Files via ODBC (*.xls) 2100. [Sheet1$] in "a.xls"

The connection to "Catalogue Merge Data.xls" from "Mailmerge Main
Document.doc"
uses a technique which is hidden to me.

"MS Excel Worksheets via DDE (*.xls)" seems to do what you do.

2. The 'Main Mailmerge Document' attached to the tutorial has already
been through the process described at 1, above.

The connection also allows money amounts like "$8,000" to be passed
where I see "8000"

3. The $ symbols in the tutorial's merged output appear in the
tutorial's data file. If they don't appear in your data file and you
want them in your output, you'll need to format the relevant
mergefields with the appropriate numeric picture switch. The field
coding under the heading 'Format the Output and/or Insert Additional
Text Before the Repeated Data' has such a switch (see also Word's help
file for more details).

You use "{MERGEFIELD Sales \# $,0.00}". (I typed that. I have been
foolish enough not to note a recent posting on using a VBA macro to copy
field codes and now can't find it. ;( )

Much less significant is the display of "Coffs Harbour" on a line
which has "Justify" set. On my example, Harbour is thrown to the right
by the justification; you avoid it. How?

4. In the tutorial, the paragraphs containing the mergefields were
formatted with left & decimal tabs at 5 and 10cm, respectively. That's
what controls the paragraph layout. Obviously, if you paste the code
into a paragraph with a different layout, the results will differ.

I am sorry to say I think something else applies. Neither "Mailmerge
Main Document.doc" nor my document have tabs set but the tabs in field
codes in "Catalogue Mailmerge Tutorial.doc" are passed through to the
output document when trying "Merge Records By Category". As I said, I
think this is less important.

Thanks again for your response. It caused me to learn a lot and leaves
me with more to learn from your work.
--
Walter Briscoe

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Walter,

The tabs are 'passed through' because they're in the field codes. You can see them if you press Alt-F9 or if you select the field
and press Shift-F9. One setting I use that you might not be using, is found under Tools|Options|Compatability: 'Don't expand
character spaces on the line ending Shift-Return'. That could affect the way the lines are output in your document - you could also
suppress this behaviour for a selected line by inserting a tab after the last character on that line.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

In message of Mon, 8 Sep 2008
18:03:01 in microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields, macropod
writes
Hi Walter,

The tabs are 'passed through' because they're in the field codes. You
can see them if you press Alt-F9 or if you select the field and press
Shift-F9. One setting I use that you might not be using, is found under
Tools|Options|Compatability: 'Don't expand character spaces on the line
ending Shift-Return'. That could affect the way the lines are output in
your document - you could also suppress this behaviour for a selected
line by inserting a tab after the last character on that line.

macropod,
That hits the spot! Can I suggest that you might use our conversation as
a catalyst to modify the instructions in "Catalogue Mailmerge
Tutorial.doc"? With such work, I try to re-create what the author has
done before moving on to my own work. As it happens, I have no current
need to do directory merges.

I suppose I should test your other examples and report any exceptions.
Give me a little time!
--
Walter Briscoe
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

In message of Mon, 8 Sep 2008
09:35:15 in microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields, Walter Briscoe
writes

[snip]

I suppose I should test your other examples and report any exceptions.
Give me a little time!

I did not find anything remarkable in the rest of the tutorial.

However, I have found something which I find VERY interesting in
"Mailmerge Main Document.doc".

I used the sysinternals free product procmon to monitor attempts to open
*.xls.

During the attempt to open "C:\wfb\mailmerge\CatalogueMerge\Mailmerge
Main Document.doc", After QueryOpen fails on
"C:\Users\Waramanga\Documents\Catalogue Merge Data.xls", it succeeds in
opening "C:\wfb\mailmerge\CatalogueMerge\Catalogue Merge Data.xls" This
recovery action seems to be a feature when opening data sources as "MS
Excel Worksheets via DDE (*.xls)" and absent for other types of data
source.
I have not seen it described before. It allows a .doc, .xls pfile pair
to me arbitrarily moved together without need of any fix up. I find it
much easier than Cindy Meister's brilliant method in "Office VBA: Macros
You Can Use Today" to establish the connection. However, her method
words for all types of data source.

So, my tentative recipe to allow a portable mail merge connection
between a .doc and a .xls in Word 2003, SP1 is ensure
"Tools|Options|General|Confirm conversion at Open" is checked; in
"Select recipients", "Use an existing list" & "Confirm data source" as
"MS Excel Worksheets via DDE (*.xls)".

I shall try it in other mail merges I wrote previously.
If I am wrong, I hope to be quickly shouted down.
--
Walter Briscoe
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Walter,

I've now added a comment about the compatability settings to the tutorial, plus an example of how to produce a listing using two
sort keys.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message ...
In message of Mon, 8 Sep 2008 09:35:15 in microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields, Walter
Briscoe writes

[snip]

I suppose I should test your other examples and report any exceptions. Give me a little time!

I did not find anything remarkable in the rest of the tutorial.

However, I have found something which I find VERY interesting in "Mailmerge Main Document.doc".

[...]

source" as "MS Excel Worksheets via DDE (*.xls)".