Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
thebigdintexas thebigdintexas is offline

Default Make older versions free

I have a suggestion regarding Microsoft Word. How about offering the older
version for free when the latest version, such as in Office 2007, is
released. Microsoft could switch the older version to ad supported or
something, then offer it for free. Comments?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Opinicus Opinicus is offline

"thebigdintexas" wrote

I have a suggestion regarding Microsoft Word. How about offering the older
version for free when the latest version, such as in Office 2007, is
released. Microsoft could switch the older version to ad supported or
something, then offer it for free. Comments?

Would they qualify for upgrades? If so, I doubt MS would go along with the
idea.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
thebigdintexas thebigdintexas is offline

Good point.....would have to add "does not qualify for a discounted upgrade"
to my suggestion along with ad-supported. Thanks.

"Opinicus" wrote:

"thebigdintexas" wrote

I have a suggestion regarding Microsoft Word. How about offering the older
version for free when the latest version, such as in Office 2007, is
released. Microsoft could switch the older version to ad supported or
something, then offer it for free. Comments?

Would they qualify for upgrades? If so, I doubt MS would go along with the
idea.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To some extent I think this has happened. I have read stories about MS
making older (much older) versions of Windows available for no-frills
computers being distributed in developing countries. I think you can be
pretty sure that MS will never make available freely any version that is
still supported (support is very expensive). Support for Word 97 has already
been dropped, and Word 2000 will move out of support when Word 2007 is
released, so these are the most recent versions that you could expect to see
offered free. Keep in mind that many large corporations are still using Word
2000. Much of the volume user base is very slow upgrade because of custom
solutions that have been prepared for specific versions.

"thebigdintexas" wrote in message
I have a suggestion regarding Microsoft Word. How about offering the

older
version for free when the latest version, such as in Office 2007, is
released. Microsoft could switch the older version to ad supported or
something, then offer it for free. Comments?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

One consideration - among numerous others:

How do you propose the distribution of these charitable donations be
handled?

Is MS supposed to ship free to anyone who asks? Perhaps UPS or FedEx would
be willing to chip in - better yet, the USPS could be mandated to handle it
gratis, after all it would only increase postal rates a modest 25-30%. Or
would the product be stuffed into cereal boxes as a promotional item? And
who bears the cost of this distribution? Perhaps you'd be willing to donate
a few hours a week to making home deliveries?

Even if you're now thinking "download" - which isn't practicable for a
number of reasons, but even if it were - consider the likelihood that most
anyone not able to pay the price for their software probably doesn't have a
high speed connection in the first place. That basically leaves you with
those who *can* afford it but aren't *willing* to pay for it. Ergo, any
costs incurred by such a program have to be recouped from the sale of
current product, which in itself would be curtailed by the freebie system,
resulting in even higher prices for the rest of us.

I'm not sure what your location is - despite your addy - but here in the
good ol' US of A I'm just one of many who are getting tired of footing the
bill for freeloaders.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 11/19/06 11:47 AM, in article
, "thebigdintexas"
wrote:

Good point.....would have to add "does not qualify for a discounted upgrade"
to my suggestion along with ad-supported. Thanks.

"Opinicus" wrote:

"thebigdintexas" wrote

I have a suggestion regarding Microsoft Word. How about offering the older
version for free when the latest version, such as in Office 2007, is
released. Microsoft could switch the older version to ad supported or
something, then offer it for free. Comments?

Would they qualify for upgrades? If so, I doubt MS would go along with the
idea.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
thebigdintexas thebigdintexas is offline

yes, i was thinking of making it available for download only, or partner with
some advertisers to include flyer advertisements in the mail along with a
disk maybe to cover the cost of the disk and shipping. i think many people
who pay for high speed internet such as myself would not pay the money for
it, but would use a free ad supported version of it. They need to do
something like this cause losing many to open office...which isn't even ad
supported!

wrote:

Good point.....would have to add "does not qualify for a discounted upgrade"
to my suggestion along with ad-supported. Thanks.

"Opinicus" wrote:

"thebigdintexas" wrote

I have a suggestion regarding Microsoft Word. How about offering the older
version for free when the latest version, such as in Office 2007, is
released. Microsoft could switch the older version to ad supported or
something, then offer it for free. Comments?

Would they qualify for upgrades? If so, I doubt MS would go along with the
idea.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Taz -

There are at least two of us who are tired of people who expect something
for nothing. I guess working for a living and having to pay for luxury items
is an old-fashioned idea.

(And yes, owning a computer and having Microsoft Office installed on it are
luxury items. I know a lot of people who don't have a computer and are doing
just fine. I'll bet that after I went thru (a lengthy) withdrawal, I could
do it too.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

.. .

wrote:

Good point.....would have to add "does not qualify for a discounted
upgrade"
to my suggestion along with ad-supported. Thanks.

"Opinicus" wrote:

"thebigdintexas" wrote

I have a suggestion regarding Microsoft Word. How about offering the
older
version for free when the latest version, such as in Office 2007, is
released. Microsoft could switch the older version to ad supported or
something, then offer it for free. Comments?

Would they qualify for upgrades? If so, I doubt MS would go along with
the
idea.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

yes, i was thinking of making it available for download only, or
partner with
some advertisers to include flyer advertisements in the mail along with a
disk maybe to cover the cost of the disk and shipping. i think many people
who pay for high speed internet such as myself would not pay the money for
it, but would use a free ad supported version of it. They need to do

The point is that you have the money, but aren't willing to pay for it.
It's not that you don't have the money.

something like this cause losing many to open office...which isn't even ad
supported!

Many? You have a skewed world view. MS Office has more than 90% of the
market and OpenOffice is barely making a dent into MS sales.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

wrote:

Good point.....would have to add "does not qualify for a discounted upgrade"
to my suggestion along with ad-supported. Thanks.

"Opinicus" wrote:

"thebigdintexas" wrote

I have a suggestion regarding Microsoft Word. How about offering the older
version for free when the latest version, such as in Office 2007, is
released. Microsoft could switch the older version to ad supported or
something, then offer it for free. Comments?

Would they qualify for upgrades? If so, I doubt MS would go along with the
idea.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
thebigdintexas thebigdintexas is offline

i just think that the people who would download and use the free,
ad-supported, older version, would not be the people who are going to buy the
new version anyway, so Microsoft would at least get the ad money off of these
people using it.

wrote:

Good point.....would have to add "does not qualify for a discounted upgrade"
to my suggestion along with ad-supported. Thanks.

"Opinicus" wrote:

"thebigdintexas" wrote

I have a suggestion regarding Microsoft Word. How about offering the older
version for free when the latest version, such as in Office 2007, is
released. Microsoft could switch the older version to ad supported or
something, then offer it for free. Comments?

Would they qualify for upgrades? If so, I doubt MS would go along with the
idea.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The people who don't want to pay for software wouldn't use an ad supported
system either. They would use the same pirate versions that they have always
used. This idea is a non starter. It makes no business sense to widen the
availability of the product to a few cheapskates, when they already have the
Office software market cornered. For the domestic market they produce Works
(included with many new PCs) - and for the freeware market you have
Wordpad - both of which can produce acceptable documents.

In any case much of business is at least one version behind the current one.
Many corporates are still using Office 2000 and I wonder how many of them
will want to go through the pain and expense of retraining their staff to
use Word 2007, which I feel may be a step too far for business? Microsoft
will be supporting the users of Word 2003, at least, for a while longer.

,
"thebigdintexas" wrote:

Good point.....would have to add "does not qualify for a
discounted upgrade" to my suggestion along with ad-supported.
Thanks.

"Opinicus" wrote:

"thebigdintexas" wrote

I have a suggestion regarding Microsoft Word. How about
offering the older version for free when the latest version,
such as in Office 2007, is released. Microsoft could switch
the older version to ad supported or something, then offer it
for free. Comments?

Would they qualify for upgrades? If so, I doubt MS would go
along with the idea.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

Corporations don't like using software though that is out of support. So
the end of Office 2000 support will force them to a newer version.
Whether it's 2007 though, is a different question.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

:

"thebigdintexas" wrote:

Good point.....would have to add "does not qualify for a
discounted upgrade" to my suggestion along with ad-supported.
Thanks.

"Opinicus" wrote:

"thebigdintexas" wrote

I have a suggestion regarding Microsoft Word. How about
offering the older version for free when the latest version,
such as in Office 2007, is released. Microsoft could switch
the older version to ad supported or something, then offer it
for free. Comments?

Would they qualify for upgrades? If so, I doubt MS would go
along with the idea.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Corporations dislike spending money even more.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

"thebigdintexas" wrote:

Good point.....would have to add "does not qualify for a
discounted upgrade" to my suggestion along with ad-supported.
Thanks.

"thebigdintexas" wrote