Erica Lais

Default REF fields

Hello,

I am using REF fields to populate form fields. It works fine in Word 2003
but in Wod 2000 it doesn't work...

What could be the problem ?

Thank you a lot!
Charles Kenyon

It works the same in both versions of Word AFAIK.

Let me try to rephrase your question in Word terms, that way if I am
mistaken in my assumptions perhaps we can straighten that out right away. I
read your question as:

I want to set up a template as a protected form with fields inserted using
the forms toolbar. At least one of those fields will get information that I
want repeated elsewhere in my form without the user having to retype it. How
can I do this?

Assuming that is your question...
In Word you use a REF field to repeat information marked as a bookmark.
Forms bar fields are automatically given a name which also is a bookmark
holding the "value" of the field. Look at the field's properties to see this
name. You can (and probably should) change it to something more meaningful
than "Text1." While you are looking at the properties, also check the box
for "calculate on exit." This really means "update anything that uses
information from this field."

Assume for the moment that your field's name is "CompanyName." Your REF
field(s) would be { REF "CompanyName" }. The braces here need to be inserted
using Insert = Field or Insert = CrossReference or Ctrl-F9; you can't just
type them, they are special characters.

You are creating what Word calls an "online form." Check this in help. For
more about online forms, follow the links at
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordw...rces.htm#Forms especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles.

If this is not an online form (or even if it is) you may want to look at
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm.

Hope this helps,
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Erica Lais" wrote in message
Hello,

I am using REF fields to populate form fields. It works fine in Word 2003
but in Wod 2000 it doesn't work...

What could be the problem ?

Thank you a lot!

Erica Lais

Hi Charles!

You understood my question perfectly. Sorry if I was not clear...
I made exactly as you described, and in Word 2003 it works fine, but in Word
2000 it does not work!!

Mabe I must enable some option or some like that ?? I mean, do you think I
need to check a roperty, for example, which is not checked in my word 2000
but it is in my Word 2003 ?

Thank you a lot

"Erica Lais" wrote in message
Hello,

I am using REF fields to populate form fields. It works fine in Word 2003
but in Wod 2000 it doesn't work...

What could be the problem ?

Thank you a lot!

Charles Kenyon

Form fields have individual properties to calculate on exit. This is the
same in both versions and AFAIK works the same in both. Note, you need to
_exit_ the field to trigger the update.

Where are your Ref fields? Headers and Footers?
--

"Erica Lais" wrote in message
Hello,

I am using REF fields to populate form fields. It works fine in Word
2003
but in Wod 2000 it doesn't work...

What could be the problem ?

Thank you a lot!

Erica Lais

Hi Charles!!

I could do that!
Thank you a lot..
The problem is was : I was inserting many form fields..not only one and then
insert REF fields...

Many thanks!!