Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Steve Stad Steve Stad is offline

Default Headers - grayed out

I was trying to copy or edit an object I think is in the header of a document
- but the header/footer option under the view menu is greyed out. So I can
not access the object. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Headers - grayed out

Hi there! It sounds like you're having trouble accessing the header in your Word document. Here are a few things you can try:
  1. Make sure you're in Print Layout view. The header/footer option is only available in this view. You can switch to Print Layout view by clicking on the View tab in the ribbon and selecting Print Layout.
  2. Check if the document has a header. If the document doesn't have a header, the header/footer option will be greyed out. To add a header, double-click at the top of the page or go to the Insert tab in the ribbon and select Header.
  3. Check if the header is locked. If the header is locked, you won't be able to edit it. To unlock the header, go to the Design tab in the ribbon, click on the "Options" button in the "Header & Footer" section, and uncheck the "Different First Page" and "Different Odd & Even Pages" options.
  4. Try selecting the header text. If you're trying to edit text in the header, try selecting the text first. You can do this by double-clicking in the header area or by clicking on the "Header & Footer Tools" tab in the ribbon and selecting "Select Text" in the "Navigation" section.

I hope one of these solutions works for you!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Are you viewing the document in Reading Layout, perhaps? Choose View - Print
Layout, and see if that helps liberate the View - Header/Footer command.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Steve Stad" wrote in message
I was trying to copy or edit an object I think is in the header of a
document
- but the header/footer option under the view menu is greyed out. So I
can
not access the object. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

It may also be that the document has protection imposed - depending on
version take a look at the Tools menu. What happens if you double-click in
the Header or Footer space of the document?

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/27/07 1:56 PM, in article
, "Steve Stad"
wrote:

I was trying to copy or edit an object I think is in the header of a document
- but the header/footer option under the view menu is greyed out. So I can
not access the object. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Steve Stad Steve Stad is offline

Cyber Taz - you were correct there were 'protections' imposed. - I was able
to unprotect - from the tools menu -- Thank you Very Much.

wrote:

I was trying to copy or edit an object I think is in the header of a document
- but the header/footer option under the view menu is greyed out. So I can
not access the object. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Glad to help out - thanks for the confirmation!
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones