Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Can't indent twice!

We are struggling with the changeover to Word 2000, made necessary
because with our new network software WordPerfect kept crashing.

In creating legal documents it is important to keep manual control of
numbering and lettering. This is because we are often quoting from the
middle of other documents, and we often have to start with (say)
subparagraph "r", skip to "t", and go on to sub-subparagraph (iii),
etc.

I see that to indent after a number or letter, you type the number or
letter, hit TAB, then CTRL+T (hanging indent), and type. The text
wraps around and you get an evenly indented paragraph after the letter
number. For example:

2. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blha blha blha alah alhaal bla ha lh.

3. Blah lahg lha a blh ablh a blh blah blah blh alh
l alh lha lha lah .

etc.

But this doesn't work if you want to indent twice. What I want is:

3. a. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

b. blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah

After hitting the TAB after "a.", I hit CTRL+T -- but then the "a" gets
indented too. Further, only the first line indents twice -- the text
then wraps back to the first indent. Hitting CTRL+M is even worse
because the "3" gets indented as well.

Making a doubly indented paragraph is a routine, everday task, and I
assume the solution must be simple too. How do I get it to indent
twice without indenting the number and letter too?