Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lab5 Lab5 is offline

Default Word Template Mac to PC - file size problem

Hi All,

I am having a weird problem with Word. Working on a Mac myself -
destination computer is PC. Made some templates for the PC. File size
ranging from 500Kb to 1.3Mb. These are 1 page templates with a jpg
picture used as background. When these templates are opened on the PC
their file size changes to like 25Mb. This happens when i send it as a
doc as well. Any ideas on what is going on on that PC? Seems like the
jpg is converted to a tiff or something. On my Mac i can't find some
preference setting for image compression.

Any help would be highly appreciated

Kind regards, Lab5
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.mac.office.word

[cross-posting to the MacWord forum--I think this problem has come up before
but I don't recall the answer, or if there was one]

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.mac.office.word
Lab5 Lab5 is offline

Thing is ... All the templates on the PC seem to be that large in size.
Not only the ones i made on the mac. Found Some of Suzanne S.
Barnhill's tips and sent them to the PC user but somehow have an idea
something else is the problem ...

Lab5

On 8/18/06 4:47 AM, "Lab5" wrote:

Hi All,

I am having a weird problem with Word. Working on a Mac myself -
destination computer is PC. Made some templates for the PC. File size
ranging from 500Kb to 1.3Mb. These are 1 page templates with a jpg
picture used as background. When these templates are opened on the PC
their file size changes to like 25Mb. This happens when i send it as a
doc as well. Any ideas on what is going on on that PC? Seems like the
jpg is converted to a tiff or something. On my Mac i can't find some
preference setting for image compression.

Any help would be highly appreciated

Kind regards, Lab5

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.mac.office.word
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

The picture *is* being converted: to an internal format (basically,
compressed BMP). Because JPEG is treated as a "foreign" format.

If you go between PC and Mac, you tend to get *two* conversions plus the
original saved in the document: because Word on the PC and the Mac use
different internal formats.

So you sure as hell will get file bloat!

Thee are two possible cures. The one that often works is to use PNG in
favour of JPEG as a graphics format. PNG is treated as a "native" format
(not converted, no bloat).

PNG and JPEG each have strengths and weaknesses. JPEG favours file
compression and cuts detail to reduce size. PNG preserves full detail, but
may be larger than JPEG, depending on what is in the picture.

The other method is to use External (Linked) pictures. See the Help topic
"Reduce the size of a file by linking instead of inserting graphics" for
more.

Using Linked graphics is the "professional" solution, but it's a technique
that does not withstand idiots who can't remember to place the graphics in a
folder accessible to all users of the document. I strongly recommend place
the graphics in the SAME folder as the document. That way, Word will always
find the graphics no matter what users do, provided that when they move the
document they remember to move the entire FOLDER.

Hope this helps

On 8/18/06 4:47 AM, "Lab5" wrote:

Hi All,

I am having a weird problem with Word. Working on a Mac myself -
destination computer is PC. Made some templates for the PC. File size
ranging from 500Kb to 1.3Mb. These are 1 page templates with a jpg
picture used as background. When these templates are opened on the PC
their file size changes to like 25Mb. This happens when i send it as a
doc as well. Any ideas on what is going on on that PC? Seems like the
jpg is converted to a tiff or something. On my Mac i can't find some
preference setting for image compression.

Any help would be highly appreciated

Kind regards, Lab5

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410