Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lesah

Default Merge a letter to Access

I have an applicant letter to merge with new applicants entered into an
Access database. There is a "file info" field and a macro that adds a list
of about 15 items that an applicant may need to complete their file, into the
file info field. From the Access records I then remove all except what each
individual needs. The acknowledgement letter pulls the file info data into
the body of the letter.

I have been using this for years, no problems. Now suddenly it is randomly
cutting off parts of the merge information. It is cutting off different info
for different letters, and on different lines. I redid the letter, and redid
the macro that puts the information in. But no luck. Hope someone can help.
I also posted this on the Access board in case it is a database problem.
--
Thanks always to those who share their knowledge with others.

Lesah
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TGVzYWg=?=,

None of this is really ringing any bells...

Which version of Office is this? Have you changed anything in the Office
installation since the tools was working correctly?

Have you installed any "management" kind of software in this interval
(anti-virus, file management, etc)

Which connection method are you using to link the Acces data into Word?

Are any of the fields giving you problems "memo" fields?

If you rename the Normal.dot template to NormalOLD.dot, start Word, and set up a
new (test) file to the data, does this bring the field contents across
correctly?

I have an applicant letter to merge with new applicants entered into an
Access database. There is a "file info" field and a macro that adds a list
of about 15 items that an applicant may need to complete their file, into the
file info field. From the Access records I then remove all except what each
individual needs. The acknowledgement letter pulls the file info data into
the body of the letter.

I have been using this for years, no problems. Now suddenly it is randomly
cutting off parts of the merge information. It is cutting off different info
for different letters, and on different lines. I redid the letter, and redid
the macro that puts the information in. But no luck. Hope someone can help.
I also posted this on the Access board in case it is a database problem.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lesah

Thank you Cindy. I have Office 2000. The solution seems to be the ODBC. I
recently changed my documents from DDE to ODBC because I was tired of the
database opening each time I tried to merge a different letter. Someone here
told me to check the select method box and select ODBC. It solved the
problem. Except with this one document, and the memo field the info is being
pulled from. So I opened an old backup version of the letter, saved via DDE
and it worked fine. So I guess it must be in the combination of that
particular memo field and ODBC. Does that make sense?

--

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TGVzYWg=?=,

The solution seems to be the ODBC. I
recently changed my documents from DDE to ODBC because I was tired of the
database opening each time I tried to merge a different letter. Someone here
told me to check the select method box and select ODBC. It solved the
problem. Except with this one document, and the memo field the info is being
pulled from. So I opened an old backup version of the letter, saved via DDE
and it worked fine. So I guess it must be in the combination of that
particular memo field and ODBC. Does that make sense?

yes, that does make a certain amount of sense :-)

FWIW, in the original release of Office 2000, memo fields were being cut off
(someone was very proud of having closed a "loophole" that allowed this). The
customers were outraged :-), and the loophole was put back into the ODBC drivers
released with a Service Pack (SP 1, if memory serves). If you haven't updated to
SP-1 you might try that.