Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
KLane KLane is offline

Default Formula to calculate sum based on drop down form fields in Word

I am using Word 2003 and am creating a performance review form. I have 13
drop down fields on all of which the choices can only be 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5. On
the final blank I would like to write a formula which calculates the total of
all the rankings listed.

I have tried EVERYTHING! =SUM(above), =SUM(b2:b14),
=SUM(dropdown1:dropdown13). The colon returns a syntax error. I have listed
them all out with comma separators with no colon and that returns a 0. And,
of course, I have done with and without Ctrl-F9 brackets. I am now begging
for any help you can give. Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

You might be able to do it with a formula field, but I don't know how. I
would use a macro set to run on exit from each variable dropdown field.
Something like this:

Sub TallyResults()

Dim FF As FormField, DDFresult As Long
DDFresult = 0
For Each FF In ActiveDocument.FormFields
If FF.Type = wdFieldFormDropDown Then
If FF.Result = "Superior" Then
DDFresult = DDFresult + 5
ElseIf FF.Result = "Above Average" Then
DDFresult = DDFresult + 4
ElseIf FF.Result = "Average" Then
DDFresult = DDFresult + 3
ElseIf FF.Result = "Below Average" Then
DDFresult = DDFresult + 2
Else
DDFresult = DDFresult + 1
End If
End If
Next FF
ActiveDocument.FormFields("Result").Result = DDFresult

End Sub

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

"KLane" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003 and am creating a performance review form. I have 13
drop down fields on all of which the choices can only be 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5.
On
the final blank I would like to write a formula which calculates the total
of
all the rankings listed.

I have tried EVERYTHING! =SUM(above), =SUM(b2:b14),
=SUM(dropdown1:dropdown13). The colon returns a syntax error. I have
listed
them all out with comma separators with no colon and that returns a 0.
And,
of course, I have done with and without Ctrl-F9 brackets. I am now
begging
for any help you can give. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Greg,

This is a bit simpler

Dim FF as FormField
Dim Score as Long
Score = 0
With ActiveDocument
For each FF in .FormFields
If FF.Type = wdFieldFormDropDown then Score = Score +
FF.DropDown.Value
Next FF
.Formfields("Result").Result=Score
End With

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"KLane" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003 and am creating a performance review form. I have 13
drop down fields on all of which the choices can only be 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5.
On
the final blank I would like to write a formula which calculates the
total of
all the rankings listed.

I have tried EVERYTHING! =SUM(above), =SUM(b2:b14),
=SUM(dropdown1:dropdown13). The colon returns a syntax error. I have
listed
them all out with comma separators with no colon and that returns a 0.
And,
of course, I have done with and without Ctrl-F9 brackets. I am now
begging
for any help you can give. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Doug,

I agree. I only posted an example that I had lying about that had dropdown
values of "Superior," "Excellent," "Good," etc.

--

"KLane" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003 and am creating a performance review form. I
have 13 drop down fields on all of which the choices can only be 1,
2, 3, 4 or 5. On
the final blank I would like to write a formula which calculates the
total of
all the rankings listed.

I have tried EVERYTHING! =SUM(above), =SUM(b2:b14),
=SUM(dropdown1:dropdown13). The colon returns a syntax error. I
have listed
them all out with comma separators with no colon and that returns a
0. And,
of course, I have done with and without Ctrl-F9 brackets. I am now
begging
for any help you can give. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi KLane,

A formula field coded as:
{={REF DropDown1}+{REF DropDown2}+{REF DropDown3}+{REF DropDown4}+{REF DropDown5}}
will sum the values from your 5 Dropdown fields.

Note: use Ctrl-F9 to create the field braces (ie '{}').

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"KLane" wrote in message ...
I am using Word 2003 and am creating a performance review form. I have 13
drop down fields on all of which the choices can only be 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5. On
the final blank I would like to write a formula which calculates the total of
all the rankings listed.

I have tried EVERYTHING! =SUM(above), =SUM(b2:b14),
=SUM(dropdown1:dropdown13). The colon returns a syntax error. I have listed
them all out with comma separators with no colon and that returns a 0. And,
of course, I have done with and without Ctrl-F9 brackets. I am now begging
for any help you can give. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
KLane KLane is offline

Default Formula to calculate sum based on drop down form fields in Wor

That worked perfectly! Thank you very much.

"KLane" wrote in message ...
I am using Word 2003 and am creating a performance review form. I have 13
drop down fields on all of which the choices can only be 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5. On
the final blank I would like to write a formula which calculates the total of
all the rankings listed.

I have tried EVERYTHING! =SUM(above), =SUM(b2:b14),
=SUM(dropdown1:dropdown13). The colon returns a syntax error. I have listed
them all out with comma separators with no colon and that returns a 0. And,
of course, I have done with and without Ctrl-F9 brackets. I am now begging
for any help you can give. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
pedro gracio pedro gracio is offline

Default Formula to calculate sum based on drop down form fieldsin Word - macropod

Hi,

This seems to work pretty well in word 2000 until it is used in a large document that has a table of contents. It seems to need some sort of refresh.

I also tried this macro and although it also seems to work, it results in making the pages scroll up & down. This of course would be quite painful for the user.

Here's that code :

Sub AddDropDownResults()

Dim dDown1, dDown2, dDown3, dDown4, dDown5, dDown6, dDown7, As Integer
' Get value of first drop down form field.
dDown1 = Val(ActiveDocument.FormFields("DropDown1").Result)
' Get value of second drop down form field.
dDown2 = Val(ActiveDocument.FormFields("DropDown2").Result)
' Get value of thrid drop down form field.
dDown3 = Val(ActiveDocument.FormFields("DropDown3").Result)
' Get value of fouth drop down form field.
dDown4 = Val(ActiveDocument.FormFields("DropDown4").Result)
' Get value of fifth drop down form field.
dDown5 = Val(ActiveDocument.FormFields("DropDown5").Result)
' Get value of sixth drop down form field.
dDown6 = Val(ActiveDocument.FormFields("DropDown6").Result)
' Get value of seveth drop down form field.
dDown7 = Val(ActiveDocument.FormFields("DropDown7").Result)
' Calculate results and place in Text1 form field
ActiveDocument.FormFields("Text1").Result = Str(dDown1 + dDown2 + dDown3 + dDown4 + dDown5 + dDown6 + dDown7)

End Sub

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Pedy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi pedro,

You don't need a macro to do the calculation. All you need is a formula field (not a formfield), coded as:
{=DropDown1+DropDown2+DropDown3+DropDown4+DropDown 5+DropDown6+DropDown7}
where the field braces (ie '{ }') are created via Ctrl-F9.

As for the TOC, the best way to update it in a form is to use a macro to temporarily unprotect the form, update the TOC, then
reprotect the form (with noreset = true).

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"pedro gracio" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
[email protected] pedygbinuss@gmail.com is offline

On Apr 17, 11:18*pm, "macropod" wrote:
Hi pedro,

Formula Correction:
[...]

Pedy- Hide quoted text -

Hi macropod,

Sorry for re-posting, I did not see your reply...

How would I create a "macro to temporarily unprotect the form" ?

The other thing that I tried and it worked great until I placed the
table in a document with a TOC is just using a regular Text Form Field
type Number with the calculate on exit, and in the last cell I used
the formula "=SUM(d2:d21)". This again woked just fine, it calculated
automatically & all but once there is a TOC it didn't do anything...

pedy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
rachid ayad rachid ayad is offline

Default how to rename macro in letter I just found icone Pleasehelp

how to rename macro in letter I just found icone Please help