Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
John Cutler John Cutler is offline

Default Photos in table cells don't stay centered

I'm working with Word 2003, standard edition, XP Pro operating system.

I have a table with a number of cells in it, the largest of which contains a
photograph. Ordinarily, the photo is centered in the table cell, with a
small, uniform-width white margin around the photo.

However, if I draw a line or arrow on top of the photo (to identify a
particular boundary or point), the photo re-positions itself against the top
border of the cell and leaves a large white margin at the bottom.

Positioning a text-box on top of a photo causes the same upward movement of
the photo.

Is there any way to "lock" the photo in its centered position when objects
are placed over it?

Thanks,

John
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You'll save yourself a lot of grief if you use SnagIt to annotate your
graphics before you insert them There is a working trial available.

John Cutler wrote:
I'm working with Word 2003, standard edition, XP Pro operating system.

I have a table with a number of cells in it, the largest of which
contains a photograph. Ordinarily, the photo is centered in the table
cell, with a small, uniform-width white margin around the photo.

However, if I draw a line or arrow on top of the photo (to identify a
particular boundary or point), the photo re-positions itself against
the top border of the cell and leaves a large white margin at the
bottom.

Positioning a text-box on top of a photo causes the same upward
movement of the photo.

Is there any way to "lock" the photo in its centered position when
objects are placed over it?

Thanks,

John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

"John Cutler" wrote:

I'm working with Word 2003, standard edition, XP Pro operating system.

I have a table with a number of cells in it, the largest of which contains a
photograph. Ordinarily, the photo is centered in the table cell, with a
small, uniform-width white margin around the photo.

However, if I draw a line or arrow on top of the photo (to identify a
particular boundary or point), the photo re-positions itself against the top
border of the cell and leaves a large white margin at the bottom.

Positioning a text-box on top of a photo causes the same upward movement of
the photo.

Is there any way to "lock" the photo in its centered position when objects
are placed over it?

If you cannot use an image editing software, try grouping the object and the
photo. Then as a single object, it will be easier to manipulate.
The problem you get is linked to the fact that the new object is anchored to
a paragraph in the table cell. If you try to anchor the object to a paragraph
outside the table, you will not see the behaviour. But, you have to uncheck
the "Layout in table cell" check box in the advanced properties of the Lay
out tab for the object format properties. However, Word is stubborn and will
invariably recheck this as soon as you try to move the object. I have not
found a way of easily handling this yet. What I do is I place the object,
then later, when I am convinced I have finished editing the page, I uncheck
that box, place the object according to measurments that are relative to the
page border and do not touch it anymore.

But, the easiest is to group the objects, or, as Graham wrote, use some
image editing software.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
John Cutler John Cutler is offline

Thanks for the info. Manipulating the photos with image editing software is
not an option. I'll experiment with locking the image relative to the page
border or (more likely) just live with the shifted photo. It's only an
aesthetic issue on my part -- the boss has not complained about off-center
photos...!

Thanks, John