Lisa

Default word work files

After making changes to a document and then saving the document (File Save)
to a folder that is on a network, a Word Work file is created. The Word Work
file does not automatically disappear after I quit Word. When I go back to
the folder on the network to access the saved document, the document is there
and so is the Word Work file. Is there a way to make sure that the Word Work
files are not created when saving documents?
Anne Troy

What is a Word Work file? Are you talking about a temporary file? Is it
still there after you close Word and the network has had a few minutes to
refresh itself?
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Lisa" wrote in message
After making changes to a document and then saving the document (File

Save)
to a folder that is on a network, a Word Work file is created. The Word

Work
file does not automatically disappear after I quit Word. When I go back

the folder on the network to access the saved document, the document is

there
and so is the Word Work file. Is there a way to make sure that the Word

Work
files are not created when saving documents?

Lisa

I called the "duplicate copy" a Word Work File because that is the name that
is given to it in the folder that also saves the updated word document. I am
assuming that it is a temporary file, but it isn't actiing as such because it
is still there after I close word and after the network has had days to
refresh itself.

"Lisa" wrote in message
After making changes to a document and then saving the document (File

Save)
to a folder that is on a network, a Word Work file is created. The Word

Work
file does not automatically disappear after I quit Word. When I go back

the folder on the network to access the saved document, the document is

there
and so is the Word Work file. Is there a way to make sure that the Word

Work
files are not created when saving documents?

gap

Is the file extension .wbk. If yes, it is a word back up file. Under
Tools/Options/Save you have "Always create back up copy" checked. See the
Microsoft Articles "Save a Back up Copy of a document" and "Open a Back up
copy of a document" in Microsoft Word Help. Search for Word Backup Files.
Hope this helps.

gap

"Lisa" wrote in message
After making changes to a document and then saving the document (File

Save)
to a folder that is on a network, a Word Work file is created. The Word

Work
file does not automatically disappear after I quit Word. When I go back

the folder on the network to access the saved document, the document is

there
and so is the Word Work file. Is there a way to make sure that the Word

Work
files are not created when saving documents?

Daiya Mitchell

Important: What OS and version of Word are you using?

You cannot prevent Word from creating all the temp files that it is coded to
create, and attempting to prevent their creation is likely to have very bad
effects.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Daiya Mitchell

I am using Tiger and Word 2004 for Mac.

Yeah, I thought so. A quick google only turned up references to Word Work
files on the Mac, and Anne had never heard of them. *always* state version
and OS when posting to a newsgroup for technical help, you get much more
accurate results faster.

Okay, first of all I don't think you need to worry. You can't stop them
being created, I'm pretty sure they exist so that Word can maintain a
multiple-undo list, and I've not heard of leftover ones doing any harm. You
should just be able to delete them manually, though quit Word first. Or
just ignore them. The Word Work files don't have an extension because
presumably you have OS X set to *not* show extensions by default.

Word *should* delete all of those files when the file is closed--the
Word/Tiger/server combo is still working out some glitches, so I'm guessing
that it's something about the network setup that is preventing Word from
deleting the files as it ought to. Count yourself lucky you aren't seeing
more dysfunctional problems with Word on a network, others have quite
unhappy reports.

For future reference, there are Mac-specific newsgroups which are far better
places to ask any questions about Word interacting with anything--like the
OS, or a printer. Questions can are totally internal to Word can be asked
in either set of groups.

If you are hoping for more information about these files, repost the
question on the MacWord newsgroup. There's currently temp file discussion
going on under
subject: "Underline Style" Won't Default
subject: Always create backup copy
Which you may also find interesting, though at present it's just my
inexperienced info on those thread, though a little more than I said here,
and others are chiming in, and that's the most likely group to get accurate
information from.

You might also want to search the google archives of that group for
questions relating to Word and Tiger on a server/network. Also, if you
repost your experience in that newsgroups--Word doesn't delete Word Work
files on the network--it should eventually get to the developers. When you
repost the question, be sure to state exactly which version of Tiger and
Word so that people know which updates you have applied--it very often
matters.

See here for Google/Entourage gateway to Mac-specific ngs:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
How do I create & merge specific data base & master documents? maggiev New Users 2 January 13th 05 12:30 AM
Continuous breaks convert to next page breaks Jennifer Hunt Microsoft Word Help 2 December 30th 04 06:45 PM