Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Karl E. Peterson[_2_] Karl E. Peterson[_2_] is offline

Default Applying Custom Table Styles

Posting here to insure that I find the answer through Google in
relatively short order. g More seriously, I have been googling, and
just can't seem to find the right incantation for this.

I seem to grasp the general concept of creating a new style for tables.
What's perplexing is, once I do so, I can't seem to find a way to
actually *apply* that style to a table. This is in Word 2007.

I think the Quick Style Gallery is supposed to have a Custom section,
right? Not here. At least not always. Is there some way to toggle
this thing on and off?

I can tell the styles have been created, because I can select them from
the Based On dropdown when creating yet more styles.

Thanks... Karl

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Karl E. Peterson wrote:
Posting here to insure that I find the answer through Google in relatively
short order. g More seriously, I have been googling, and just can't seem
to find the right incantation for this.

ARGH!!! Of course. I "solved" it by posting here. g (Sort of.)

I seem to grasp the general concept of creating a new style for tables.
What's perplexing is, once I do so, I can't seem to find a way to actually
*apply* that style to a table. This is in Word 2007.

I think the Quick Style Gallery is supposed to have a Custom section, right?
Not here. At least not always. Is there some way to toggle this thing on
and off?

Okay, it seems my mistake was in actually attempting to create new
styles, rather than modifying existing ones? In a DOCX where I had
attempted three times to create new styles, and the Custom bar never
showed up, I just now modified an existing style and gave it a new
name. This seems to have forced the creation of that Custom styles
bar, and it now holds all four of my "custom" styles. Is this supposed
to make sense?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell  via OfficeKB.com is offline

A newly created table style should show up in the custom gallery. I do
vaguely remember, though, that my first few table style did not show up there.
I'm not sure what caused them to consistently show up later.

Pam

Karl E. Peterson wrote:
Posting here to insure that I find the answer through Google in relatively
short order. g More seriously, I have been googling, and just can't seem
to find the right incantation for this.

ARGH!!! Of course. I "solved" it by posting here. g (Sort of.)

I seem to grasp the general concept of creating a new style for tables.
What's perplexing is, once I do so, I can't seem to find a way to actually

[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
Not here. At least not always. Is there some way to toggle this thing on
and off?

Okay, it seems my mistake was in actually attempting to create new
styles, rather than modifying existing ones? In a DOCX where I had
attempted three times to create new styles, and the Custom bar never
showed up, I just now modified an existing style and gave it a new
name. This seems to have forced the creation of that Custom styles
bar, and it now holds all four of my "custom" styles. Is this supposed
to make sense?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com wrote:
A newly created table style should show up in the custom gallery. I do
vaguely remember, though, that my first few table style did not show up
there. I'm not sure what caused them to consistently show up later.

Kind of a frustrating OOBE, huh?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

Some custom table styles not accessible after upgrading from Word Rivermonster, Bristol UK Tables 1 June 1st 10 09:55 PM
Table moves when applying styles Loris Microsoft Word Help 6 April 2nd 10 05:51 PM
Problem with custom table styles Penny Tables 3 December 10th 08 11:41 PM
Custom Table styles Linda Tables 1 December 9th 08 11:30 AM
Problem with custom table styles Penny Tables 4 December 3rd 08 03:31 AM