Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] kiwichick@herplace.co.nz is offline

Default Paste link from Excel - prints gridlines

Greetings

I have a user who's Word 2003 will print the gridlines and formula
error markers when she pastes in an Excel workbook link. This doesn't
happen to other users. Preliminary searching of the internet suggested
this is normal - if you have gridlines on in the View options in Excel
then Word will print them. Indeed, turning this off does stop it from
printing. However, for other users and a basic fresh install for
myself, this simply isn't necessary. Word does not print the gridlines
for the rest of us. (So apart from the actual problem, I'm a little
confused as to what is actually supposed to be normal, too).

The behaviour follows her around wherever she logs in. Other users
logging in to her computer do not get the lines printing. It is somehow
connected to her login account or default settings. We have nuked her
account (remove account, recreate) on the network some months ago when
this first surfaced. It didn't help. I have no idea if this will be a
Word setting or Excel.

While turning off the gridlines view in Excel works, it is not an
acceptable solution with this particular project (and doesn't stop the
green error triangles printing anyway).. The gridline view is very
helpful in Excel and the spreadsheet is constantly worked on after
being inserted into Word (they work on it in Excel, not Word, and no I
can't get them to not paste it in until it's done as there are multiple
reviews of this project work).

Excel is not set to print gridlines.

Any help appreciated,
KC

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

I have a user who's Word 2003 will print the gridlines and formula
error markers when she pastes in an Excel workbook link. This doesn't
happen to other users. Preliminary searching of the internet suggested
this is normal - if you have gridlines on in the View options in Excel
then Word will print them. Indeed, turning this off does stop it from
printing. However, for other users and a basic fresh install for
myself, this simply isn't necessary. Word does not print the gridlines
for the rest of us. (So apart from the actual problem, I'm a little
confused as to what is actually supposed to be normal, too).

The first question that occurs to me is whether others are pasting an
Excel OBJECT, or whether their result is a Word-style table (still
linked back to Excel)? The Word-style table would be the usual default,
and wouldn't show gridlines or anything else of that nature.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] kiwichick@herplace.co.nz is offline

Thanks for both prompt replies.

Both users are doing Paste Special - Paste Link - Microsoft Office
Excel Worksheet Object.

I have checked default table format for her and myself, and both are
Table Grid.

With the pasted spreadsheet selected, the Table options are greyed out
(select row etc), so I don't think Word is treating it as a Table.

Even table grid options probably wouldn't explain the green formula
error triangles printing out.

Running out of options here.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Try selecting Table Normal instead of Table Grid if you want to eliminate
the gridlines.

Thank you, but no, that didn't work. I didn't hold out much hope for
that anyway as it's not a table.

KC

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Both users are doing Paste Special - Paste Link - Microsoft Office
Excel Worksheet Object.

OK, when using this format, what you have is a "little bit of Excel"
embedded into the Word document. That means everything "internal" to
the Excel table is controlled by the Excel settings - so the changed
must be made by double-clicking the object and using the Excel menus
that appear.

There is no way to use Word's interface to control how this will
print out. Really :-)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 17
2005)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Cindy M. wrote:

There is no way to use Word's interface to control how this will
print out. Really :-)

I have no problem with using Excel's.

This user has got some setting somewhere that is making this different
than to others. I have just been advised this user has a bunch of
macros in her normal.dot, so I tried renaming that so it reverts to a
base one, but that didn't help.

I also recall now that back when her profile was nuked, her computer
was rebuilt as well, perhaps a few weeks later.

She is a fiddler. It is entirely possible (most likely) that she has
changed something somewhere. This makes rebuilding her PC and nuking
her profile again no use to us. While the combination may solve the
problem initially, she's gonna fiddle again and make her favourite
changes.

If we can isolate what exactly she's done to create this issue we can
advise her not to make that one change in further installations.

Ta,
KC

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

This user has got some setting somewhere that is making this different
than to others.

Well, FWIW (and referring to your original post): the default IS to show
and print the gridlines. It's what I see on a new installation.

So perhaps the place to check is in any policies "you" may be setting
for users when installing Office / creating a new profile?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Cindy M. wrote:
Well, FWIW (and referring to your original post): the default IS to show
and print the gridlines. It's what I see on a new installation.
So perhaps the place to check is in any policies "you" may be setting
for users when installing Office / creating a new profile?

This has finally been 'resolved' by creating the user a new user
account on the network. Rather than even nuking her profile, we made an
all-new login ID.

As with *every other installation* of Office we do (we use installation
defaults and do not have GPO's), the default behaviour is back to
normal - not printing the lines. We have told the user not to recreate
the various macros and personalisations she has done with Offfice in
the past. Perhaps the NZ version of Office has different default
behaviours to the US or something.

Thanks anyway,
KC