non-breaking hyphens

Old March 30th 05, 02:15 PM
Stephen Brown

Default non-breaking hyphens

Can Word be set to automatically treat all hyphens as non-breaking hyphens?

I have an existing long document where I need to ensure all hyphenated words
are kept on the same line - as this is one of the principles of writing in
Plain English - and would like to achieve this without having to go through
the entire document and replace every individual hyphen.

Thanks

Stephen Brown
Old March 30th 05, 02:45 PM
Greg

Stephen,

It is very easy to go trough the entire document and replace them. Use
find and replace.

Type a non-breaking hyphen, display non-printing text and copy just the
hypen to the clipboard. EditReplace. Type a hypen in fing what the
type
^c (the content of the clipboard) in replace with.

All done.

You can also set up a formatted Autocorrect entry to convert regular
hyphens to non breaking hyphens.