Word is driving me crazy!

Old April 4th 06, 12:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Word is driving me crazy!

I have Word 2003 and I'm trying to write a big document. Whenever I bold a
word or a sentence it changes the WHOLE document and takes a loooooong time
to process it because it is many pages long. I've tried to find what setting
is causing this - I can't find it. It really is very time consuming and I've
given up trying to
format as I type because it changes the whole thing time and time again. Why
is it doing this????

I would be eternally grateful if someone knows the fix for this please -
also, if you respond via the group, can you please also email me direct in
case I don't come back here again for a week or so. I'm trying a few places
to find an answer.

Regards, and thanks,

Kathie
Old April 4th 06, 12:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Usual reason for this is having your Normal style set to "Automatically
Update" - see

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...tedcontent.htm

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

Old April 4th 06, 12:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, how simple was that? And yet I looked everywhere I could (in the
regular menus) and couldn't find anything at all. What confuses me is why it
started doing that? Did I inadvertently made a change to a normal document
that made it start doing that for every document? Because my documents used
to behave themselves about 6 or so months ago and then started doing that.
Anyway, thanks, it's saved me heaps of time and frustration.

Kathie

Old April 4th 06, 12:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Glad to have helped. I don't know why it should have got turned on
automatically, but if you check both the boxes in the Modify dialog
(Automatically Update and Update template) then I think you will probably
write the setting to your Normal.dot.

Old April 5th 06, 05:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is one of those settings that is almost certainly modified by a poorly
written add-in.

"Margaret Aldis" wrote in
message ...