Bill

Default Going crazy with footer text!!!

Going crazy with footer text!!!

My document has 20 sections. In each section,
I changed the text in the footer making sure that
the "Same as previous" was disabled. As I did
each section, it appeared that all was okay.
However, when I came back to the document
sometime later, I found different footing text
within the same section and in some cases the
text peculiar to a given section had propagated
to the next section as though "Same as previous"
was enabled, which it isn't upon checking.

At this point, it doesn't appear that making
changes to footing text will remain as entered.

Do I need to do something else besides
assuring that "Same as previous" is disabled
in the footing? There is NO text in the heading
and I've not paid any attention to whether the
"Same as previous" is enabled or disabled in
the heading. Can that be the source of my
difficulties?

Totally frustrated,
Bill

To begin with (though it may be too late for you to hear this), there's a
good chance you didn't need to disable same as previous to get different
text in each footer. If you're picking up text anywhere in the section (such
as the chapter title), you can use a StyleRef field for that, and it will
change automatically.

In your current situation, however, when you add new text, make sure that
the old text is deleted.

Also, be aware that if you have either "Different first page" or "Different
odd and even" checked (Layout tab of Page Setup), then you may have as many
as three separate footers in any given section. "Same as Previous" for each
different type of footer controls the link only to the previous footer of
the same type: First Page, Even Page, Odd Page. (And note that the controls
for headers are independent, so you needn't worry about what you have or
haven't done with them.)

Finally, if you have any sections in the middle of a page (that is, sections
that begin and end with Continuous breaks), there's a good chance that the
problem is in a footer that is inaccessible without temporarily inserting a
page break in the middle of the page.

"Bill" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Bill

Suzanne,
Given your explanation, I don't see where I've gone wrong unless
I've misused "continuous" section breaks. I don't have any even/odd
page numbering involved here, but I did use the convenience of
"go to" page when I positioned to the page that begins a new section.
In doing so, I'm positioned to the first page of a section wherein I
then inserted a "continuous section break", rather than back up to the

I changed the footing text by simply selecting (sweep to highlight) the
displayed text and typing in the new text

I'll investigate the possibility that what I'm seeing is that the first page
of a section is carrying the footing of the previous section and that the
second page does in fact have the intended footing text. That is, the
first page isn't in the intended section.

I'll post back as soon as that investigation is completed.

Thanks,
Bill
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

so
all may benefit.

"Bill" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Bill

It appears that my use of "continuous section breaks" is in fact what
has caused my difficulties. That is, when I position to the first page
of a section and change it's footing text, I am in effect also changing
the last n-1 pages of the previous section.

I think the easiest and most certain way of cleaning up this problem
is to find and replace ALL section breaks with "nothing" and start
over. I think that a more methodical approach will in the long run be
faster and less confusing.

Any thoughts before I start that process?

Bill

"Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

"Bill" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Two things that are easier:

1. You can insert a Next Page break at the top of a page, before any of the
text on that page (you don't have to back up to the previous page to do it).

2. Now that you've got the Continuous breaks, don't delete them; go to the
Layout tab of Page Setup and change the section start type to "New page."
You may be able to do this for all the section breaks at once by making sure
that "Whole document" is selected under "Apply to."

ink.net...

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Bill" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Bill

GREAT! I think I'm in good shape now.

Thanks for sticking with the thread until my sanity returned. I might not
have
gotten into so much pain were I the original author, as I would have
selected
a style with headings, sections, etc. and then filled in the outline as
appropriate.
Unfortunately, there was little or no structure to what I inherited... SIGH!

Thanks again,
Bill

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Two things that are easier:

1. You can insert a Next Page break at the top of a page, before any of
the
text on that page (you don't have to back up to the previous page to do
it).

2. Now that you've got the Continuous breaks, don't delete them; go to the
Layout tab of Page Setup and change the section start type to "New page."
You may be able to do this for all the section breaks at once by making
sure
that "Whole document" is selected under "Apply to."

so
all may benefit.

ink.net...

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

nk.net...

Section footer text Bill Page Layout 0 February 9th 05 08:50 PM
My footer text only prints on select pages of my documenent Accent Page Layout 1 January 7th 05 03:38 PM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 03:49 PM
Text Form Field Ref in Footer Won't Update on Screen StarWine Microsoft Word Help 3 December 6th 04 07:17 PM
Word should let me go direct from text to footer Jack Isbester Tables 2 December 2nd 04 02:54 AM