Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
kim kim is offline

Default document is double spaced

We are working on a 45 page document that appears to be double spaced. None
of the styles or settings, however, indicate double spacing or extra
paragraph spacing. Everything is set for single and 0 spacing before and
after the paragraph. We are trying to change the spacing for a specific
paragraph to single so that the lines of text will all fit onto a page.

We have tried everything we can think of - switching back to normal, pasting
as unformatted text, etc. It continues to paste as double spaced. It is as if
the entire document has a setting of double spacing which I cannot find
anywhere.

So far, the only way we can get this to change back to single spacing is to
select all (the entire document) and paste special as unformatted text into a
new blank document. But that will be a lot of work to reformat and paste all
of the graphics in separately.

Does anyone know what could be causing this and how it can be changed back
to single spacing? Is there a setting for double spacing an entire document
(not just paragraph and line)?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Have you displayed the non-printing characters ( ¶ ) in the document? If so,
what -- if anything -- appears in the white space between the lines of text?

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 7/1/09 12:18 PM, in article
, "kim"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
kim kim is offline

Yes, nothing in the white space. Just one paragraph symbol at the end of a
paragraph. It looks as though it is supposed to be single-spaced with no
spacing before/after the paragraphs (according to all settings), and copying
it into a new blank document is indeed single-spaced, but cutting it and
pasting into the same document (any place in the document) causes it to be
double-spaced. There must be some setting that causes the entire document to
be double-spaced. We are checking with the originator to see how it was
created.

I troubleshoot a lot of documents and it is a real mystery to me.
Kim

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

What is the vertical alignment setting (Layout tab of Page Setup)?

Another thought, in some previous instances documents have appeared to be
double-spaced because the text had been formatted as superscript or
subscript (and Zoom apparently changed enough to make this less obvious).

http://word.mvps.org

news

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

If it copies/pastes into another blank correctly, it may be that your
document is corrupt. You could try the Open and Repair option to see if that
resolves it. If not, copy all but the final paragraph mark and paste into a
new blank document. (Ctrl+End, Ctrl+Shft+Home, Ctrl+C, then Ctrl+K into a
new blank.)

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
What is the vertical alignment setting (Layout tab of Page Setup)?

Another thought, in some previous instances documents have appeared to be
double-spaced because the text had been formatted as superscript or
subscript (and Zoom apparently changed enough to make this less obvious).

http://word.mvps.org

news

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
kim kim is offline

Yes, I did check that and it was Top. It doesn't appear to have any
superscript or subscript formatting.
Kim

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What is the vertical alignment setting (Layout tab of Page Setup)?

Another thought, in some previous instances documents have appeared to be
double-spaced because the text had been formatted as superscript or
subscript (and Zoom apparently changed enough to make this less obvious).

http://word.mvps.org

news

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dorak Dorak is offline

Kim, I hope you found out what was wrong... I bet it was character
formatting. I was able to reproduce what you mentioned by raising the
vertical position of the characters by 12 points.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What is the vertical alignment setting (Layout tab of Page Setup)?

Another thought, in some previous instances documents have appeared to be
double-spaced because the text had been formatted as superscript or
subscript (and Zoom apparently changed enough to make this less obvious).

http://word.mvps.org

news

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Michael H. Lewis Michael H. Lewis is offline

I had the same problem where the preceding text had that Paragraph symbol
then too much space in between the next line. I highlighted the text and
changed the line spacing and that fixed it. Didn't get rid of the paragraph
symbol, though. Don't know whether this helps or makes sense as I'm just
jumping in to this...forgive me if I'm out of line.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What is the vertical alignment setting (Layout tab of Page Setup)?

Another thought, in some previous instances documents have appeared to
be
double-spaced because the text had been formatted as superscript or
subscript (and Zoom apparently changed enough to make this less
obvious).

http://word.mvps.org

news Yes, nothing in the white space. Just one paragraph symbol at the end