TedW

Default Using Suffix field from Outlook 2003

I am trying to use the Suffix field from Outlook in a mail merge letter but
it shows up as "not matched". When I try to match it with the correct field,
there is no field "suffix" available for mapping. Any suggestions?
Doug Robbins

Initiate the merge from Outlook and do not use the Address Block. Just
insert the fields that you want to use in the configuration that you want.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"TedW" wrote in message
I am trying to use the Suffix field from Outlook in a mail merge letter but
it shows up as "not matched". When I try to match it with the correct
field,
there is no field "suffix" available for mapping. Any suggestions?

Graham Mayor

You must have misunderstood Doug's suggestion as the suffix field certainly
is available when merging from Outlook (all the fields are available). Nor
should any 'mapping' of fields be required. Insert the fields you want
directly into the merge document. See
http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

Initiate the merge from Outlook and do not use the Address Block.
Just insert the fields that you want to use in the configuration
that you want.

interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered on
a paid consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"TedW" wrote in message
I am trying to use the Suffix field from Outlook in a mail merge
letter but it shows up as "not matched". When I try to match it
with the correct field,
there is no field "suffix" available for mapping. Any suggestions?

TedW

Just telling me I misunderstood and then giving the same directions was not
particularly useful.

On further exploration what I found was that Merge doe not function properly
when run from Word. When running it from Outlook you can not use the merge
Tools of Word as that simply changes it back to a Word initiated merge. You
must use the merge Toolbar tools.

Now if you had told me that, it would have been helpful. I hope this will
someone else who runs in to the same problem.

"TedW" wrote in message
I am trying to use the Suffix field from Outlook in a mail merge
letter but it shows up as "not matched". When I try to match it
with the correct field,
there is no field "suffix" available for mapping. Any suggestions?

Graham Mayor

I didn't tell you that it was necessary to use the merge toolbar because it
isn't. You can merge just as easily by following the merge task pane, which
by default offers the Outlook data when merging from Outlook. It only
reverts to a Word generated merge document if you change the data source to
Outlook data instead of leaving it alone.

I had assumed that you would know what to do with the extended data
availability once you knew how to access it, and that information was
provided in the link - however, you are correct that the merge toolbar is
easier to use for making such changes. To this end I have added a link at
the end of my Outlook merge web page to direct users to the additional
information on merging via the toolbar.

I have also added a note for those who prefer the task pane not to change
the default. Hopefully it is now clearer.

There are in addition several other tutorials on my web site concerned with
merge processes.

--
Please respond to the Newsgroup for the benefit of others who may
be interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP