Paul cronk

Default How do I type in the Diameter Symbol on Word ?

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I type in the Diameter Symbol on Word ?

To type the diameter symbol in Microsoft Word, you can follow these steps:
  1. Place your cursor where you want to insert the diameter symbol.
  2. Press the "Alt" key on your keyboard and type "0216" on the numeric keypad (make sure Num Lock is on).
  3. Release the "Alt" key and the diameter symbol (Ø) should appear.

    Alternatively, you can also use the "Insert Symbol" feature in Word to insert the diameter symbol:
    1. Place your cursor where you want to insert the diameter symbol.
    2. Click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
    3. Click on "Symbol" in the "Symbols" group.
    4. Select "More Symbols" at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
    5. In the "Symbol" tab, select "Latin-1 Supplement" from the "Subset" drop-down menu.
    6. Scroll down until you find the diameter symbol (Ø) and click on it.
    7. Click on the "Insert" button to insert the symbol into your document.
__________________
Jay Freedman

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...tSpecChars.htm.

If you still can't figure it out, please post back and explain what
the symbol looks like.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
rderize

Paul:
The symbol you want can be accessed one of two ways:
1) From the Insert menu, select Symbol. You'll see a dialog box. From the
drop-down menu, select Latin-1. The symbol is in the 7th row, 16th column
from the left (about half-way);
2) Press Cntrl + /o (Press and hold the Control key plus the "/" key then
type the lower case letter "o".)

"Paul cronk" Paul wrote in message
news

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dper Dper is offline

If you want an uppercase, hold down the ALT key and type "0216". If you
want lowercase, hold down the ALT key and type "0248".
Note that the lowercase "phi" is the official Diameter symbol and the
upper case version is the null set symbol.

Paul cronk wrote:
* *

--
Dper

Pete Benson Pete Benson is offline
Junior Member

The suggested character, Unicode number 0216, is actually the Danish/Norwegian letter (upper-case) "Ø", the letter "O" with a bar through it. This character is close enough to be understood as the diameter symbol, but is not quite the same. The diameter symbol is a perfectly round circle with a bar through it, while the letter is somewhat oblong. For professional-looking documents (which I need, being a translator), we need the real symbol.

I came across the symbol in question in a Russian document (so I know it exists in the Unicode set); copied that and used that to create an Autocorrect workaround in Microsoft Office docs. But I want to add the symbol to my keyboard, using a keyboard modification program that I have. To do so, I need the Unicode number of the symbol—but Microsoft is keeping that a deep, dark secret, it seems, since the symbol does not appear in the "Add Symbol" character set, as far as I can tell (hence all the questions here and in other forums about how to create the symbol).

So, can someone please tell me the Unicode number for the diameter symbol (not the upper-case letter "Ø")? Thanks much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dper View Post
If you want an uppercase, hold down the ALT key and type "0216". If you
want lowercase, hold down the ALT key and type "0248".
Note that the lowercase "phi" is the official Diameter symbol and the
upper case version is the null set symbol.

Paul cronk wrote:
* *

--
Dper
Renovator Renovator is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Benson View Post
[...]

Hi, i have just been looking for this answer, and hence came across this forum.
With a bit of experimentation and some luck, I have found I get the Diameter symbol by changing font to "Symbol" and typing Alt+1990 (I remembered that around this range of numbers I got maths symbols that I used to use a long time ago)
Hope this helps.
Lewis
ivanj ivanj is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Alt 8709 (the 8709 is typed on the numeric keypad).