Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Deuce Deuce is offline

Default Header and Footer missing: Word 2003 doc edited in Word 2000

I am seeing that a document that was created in Word 2k, then edited in Word
2k3 and saved, and then opened again in Word 2k has the headers and footers
missing. If it is opened up in Word 2k3 again, the document has the headers
and footers as normal.

I have researched to no avail and yes I have read about showing whitespace.
Interestingly the document in Word 2k looks like it does when the file is
edited in Word 2k3 and the option show whitespace is turned off. But there
is no show whitespace option for Word 2k to the best of my knowledge. So I
turned that feature on and off for the file in Word 2k3 saving each time, but
Word 2k still didn't have the headers or footers either time.

And yes thanks to Suzzane Barnhill's instructions, I have tried to fix the
file as if it was corrupt. No dice. But interestingly, when I saved the
file in Word 2k3 as an unfiltered html file, the headers didn't show up
either.

I have also researched the track changes feature in Word 2k3, but turning
that on or off and then saving and viewing from Word 2k didn't help either.
I'm starting to guess there is compatibility issues between Word 2k and Word
2k3.

Thanks to all who may help in advance for your time.

Caution....Wind....Throwing.....

Deuce
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Deuce:

No, no "compatibility issues" between Word 2000 and Word 2003. They use
exactly the same format.

Is it possible that you have Word 2000 opening in "Normal View" and Word
2003 opening in "Page Layout View"?

Normal view does not show headers and footers. Check your View menu.

Cheers

On 16/1/07 8:43 AM, in article
, "Deuce"
wrote:

[...]

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Deuce Deuce is offline

John,
Thanks for a reply. Yes I checked that. Issue occurs with all views in
Word 2000. And my research has shown that some have experienced this
problem, but not exactly in the manner that I have. My header has a picture
in it as well if that helps the troubleshooting process.

--------------------------------------
Caution....Wind....Throwing.......

Deuce

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

So I assume you have checked ToolsOptionsViewImage placeholders is OFF as
well? Damn!

OK, what "kind" of picture is it? Could it possibly be a "layers" issue
(I.e. A white square in front of the picture)?

Have you applied all Updates? Word 2003 had an issue with a missing
graphics converter in the first release.

On 30/1/07 2:31 AM, in article
, "Deuce"