A Microsoft Word forum. Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter forum » Microsoft Word Newsgroups » Microsoft Word Help
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

how to move table into space? help please.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 8th 17, 09:28 PM
juntjoo juntjoo is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by WordBanter: Dec 2016
Posts: 4
Default how to move table into space? help please.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ksopcfz5dc...plate.doc?dl=0

that's the file. for some reason the yellow table is pushed into a new page which I don't want. I just want the four on one page but don't understand what's getting in the way.
Ads
  #2  
Old August 9th 17, 04:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,106
Default how to move table into space? help please.

There's no way to see from that what you've done -- but clearly because the
lower left one is indented, there isn't room for another one beside it --
but why not simply make a Table with four cells that fills the page?

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 9:31:09 PM UTC-4, juntjoo wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/yakfz83l

that's the file. for some reason the yellow table is pushed into a new
page which I don't want. I just want the four on one page but don't
understand what's getting in the way.

  #3  
Old August 9th 17, 02:36 PM
juntjoo juntjoo is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by WordBanter: Dec 2016
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter T. Daniels View Post
There's no way to see from that what you've done -- but clearly because the
lower left one is indented, there isn't room for another one beside it --
but why not simply make a Table with four cells that fills the page?

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 9:31:09 PM UTC-4, juntjoo wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/yakfz83l

that's the file. for some reason the yellow table is pushed into a new
page which I don't want. I just want the four on one page but don't
understand what's getting in the way.
Thanks. what do you mean by "indented" not allowing room next to it?

I actually started out with one table of four cells actually, but I needed more control over each cell as when printing four postcards, the point of all this, the interior alignment combine with differing page margins(top left cell has upper left margins while lower right has lower right ones) results in slightly different ultimate margins for each card. So I'm trying to gain control of each cell individually to move them separately as needed.

And I actually got an Avery template which uses four separate tables, but it confused me so I'm just starting from scratch with the objective to learn how Word works with tables in general as they're always causing me problems
  #4  
Old August 10th 17, 03:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,106
Default how to move table into space? help please.

Sounds like you don't need tables at all, but rather Text Boxes.

Each line is a specific width, set by the margins of the paragraph. If your
left margin is indented, then there isn't enough room on that line to fit a
whole line's worth of stuff on it. If the stuff is merely two rectangles,
then the second one gets pushed onto a new line.

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 3:31:05 PM UTC-4, juntjoo wrote:
Peter T. Daniels;496812 Wrote:
There's no way to see from that what you've done -- but clearly because
the
lower left one is indented, there isn't room for another one beside it
--
but why not simply make a Table with four cells that fills the page?

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 9:31:09 PM UTC-4, juntjoo wrote:-
http://tinyurl.com/yakfz83l

that's the file. for some reason the yellow table is pushed into a
new
page which I don't want. I just want the four on one page but don't
understand what's getting in the way.-


Thanks. what do you mean by "indented" not allowing room next to it?

I actually started out with one table of four cells actually, but I
needed more control over each cell as when printing four postcards, the
point of all this, the interior alignment combine with differing page
margins(top left cell has upper left margins while lower right has lower
right ones) results in slightly different ultimate margins for each
card. So I'm trying to gain control of each cell individually to move
them separately as needed.

And I actually got an Avery template which uses four separate tables,
but it confused me so I'm just starting from scratch with the objective
to learn how Word works with tables in general as they're always causing
me problems




--
juntjoo


  #5  
Old August 10th 17, 12:10 PM
juntjoo juntjoo is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by WordBanter: Dec 2016
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter T. Daniels View Post
Sounds like you don't need tables at all, but rather Text Boxes.

Each line is a specific width, set by the margins of the paragraph. If your
left margin is indented, then there isn't enough room on that line to fit a
whole line's worth of stuff on it. If the stuff is merely two rectangles,
then the second one gets pushed onto a new line.

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 3:31:05 PM UTC-4, juntjoo wrote:
Peter T. Daniels;496812 Wrote:
There's no way to see from that what you've done -- but clearly because
the
lower left one is indented, there isn't room for another one beside it
--
but why not simply make a Table with four cells that fills the page?

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 9:31:09 PM UTC-4, juntjoo wrote:-
http://tinyurl.com/yakfz83l

that's the file. for some reason the yellow table is pushed into a
new
page which I don't want. I just want the four on one page but don't
understand what's getting in the way.-


Thanks. what do you mean by "indented" not allowing room next to it?

I actually started out with one table of four cells actually, but I
needed more control over each cell as when printing four postcards, the
point of all this, the interior alignment combine with differing page
margins(top left cell has upper left margins while lower right has lower
right ones) results in slightly different ultimate margins for each
card. So I'm trying to gain control of each cell individually to move
them separately as needed.

And I actually got an Avery template which uses four separate tables,
but it confused me so I'm just starting from scratch with the objective
to learn how Word works with tables in general as they're always causing
me problems




--
juntjoo

thank you. yeah, i've found guides that instruct using either tables or frames as you suggested. ultimately I'm trying to get a decent grasp on this program so I'll play with both methods.

but when you say "indented", are you talking about the spacing inside the table? if so, should that affect the table's relationship with other tables outside itself? I would think only within the table itself. I'm thinking if anything, there would be settings that dictate how the table interacts with text and other objects outside of the table that would affect how the table and another relate, like those settings dealing with how text can fit around the table.

edit: ah, I get it. you're talking about indents for the page itself. I'm confused how tables fit on a page. So they just fit on lines with text? is it that simple? my eyes want to see them placed exactly where you place them, but I can always tell there's some method, rules, to how they fit on the page that I can't see that makes them so difficult to manage. maybe that is how text boxes would be easier to manage? ultimately, i need some flexibility with each square so I can make individual adjustments to have the final result be four copies with exactly the same margins, which won't necessarily be the same after cutting the page into quarters. i'll experiment with the text boxes...

Last edited by juntjoo : August 10th 17 at 12:20 PM.
  #6  
Old August 10th 17, 02:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,106
Default how to move table into space? help please.

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 9:31:07 AM UTC-4, juntjoo wrote:
Peter T. Daniels;496820 Wrote:
Sounds like you don't need tables at all, but rather Text Boxes.

Each line is a specific width, set by the margins of the paragraph. If
your
left margin is indented, then there isn't enough room on that line to
fit a
whole line's worth of stuff on it. If the stuff is merely two
rectangles,
then the second one gets pushed onto a new line.

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 3:31:05 PM UTC-4, juntjoo wrote:-
Peter T. Daniels;496812 Wrote: -
There's no way to see from that what you've done -- but clearly
because
the
lower left one is indented, there isn't room for another one beside it
--
but why not simply make a Table with four cells that fills the page?

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 9:31:09 PM UTC-4, juntjoo wrote:-
http://tinyurl.com/yakfz83l

that's the file. for some reason the yellow table is pushed into a
new
page which I don't want. I just want the four on one page but don't
understand what's getting in the way.--

Thanks. what do you mean by "indented" not allowing room next to it?

I actually started out with one table of four cells actually, but I
needed more control over each cell as when printing four postcards, the
point of all this, the interior alignment combine with differing page
margins(top left cell has upper left margins while lower right has
lower
right ones) results in slightly different ultimate margins for each
card. So I'm trying to gain control of each cell individually to move
them separately as needed.

And I actually got an Avery template which uses four separate tables,
but it confused me so I'm just starting from scratch with the objective
to learn how Word works with tables in general as they're always
causing
me problems




--
juntjoo-



thank you. yeah, i've found guides that instruct using either tables or
frames as you suggested. ultimately I'm trying to get a decent grasp on
this program so I'll play with both methods.

but when you say "indented", are you talking about the spacing inside
the table?


No! The paragraph! As seen by the triangles at the left end of the ruler at
the top.

Or maybe there's a stray tab character at the start of the line.

if so, should that affect the table's relationship with
other tables outside itself? I would think only within the table
itself. I'm thinking if anything, there would be settings that dictate
how the table interacts with text and other objects outside of the table
that would affect how the table and another relate, like those settings
dealing with how text can fit around the table.


The only way I know of having table and text on the "same" line is columns.

edit: ah, I get it. you're talking about indents for the page itself.


No, those are "margins."

I'm confused how tables fit on a page. So they just fit on lines with
text? is it that simple? my eyes want to see them placed exactly where
you place them, but I can always tell there's some method, rules, to how
they fit on the page that I can't see that makes them so difficult to
manage. maybe that is how text boxes would be easier to manage?
ultimately, i need some flexibility with each square so I can make
individual adjustments to have the final result be four copies with
exactly the same margins, which won't necessarily be the same after
cutting the page into quarters. i'll experiment with the text boxes...


Do you have "Show Non-Printing Characters" turned on?

You haven't said which version of Word you're using, but up to Word2007 at
least, you can show just the Paragraph marks, just the Tabs, or all the non-
printing characters. In Word2013 you can show either just the paragraph marks
or all the non-printing characters. The settings are somewhere in the Word
Preferences, accessed through the "Pizza Button" at the far upper left. The
keyboard shortcut for "all of them" is Ctrl-Shift-8.
  #7  
Old August 10th 17, 02:44 PM
juntjoo juntjoo is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by WordBanter: Dec 2016
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter T. Daniels View Post
Sounds like you don't need tables at all, but rather Text Boxes.

Each line is a specific width, set by the margins of the paragraph. If your
left margin is indented, then there isn't enough room on that line to fit a
whole line's worth of stuff on it. If the stuff is merely two rectangles,
then the second one gets pushed onto a new line.

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 3:31:05 PM UTC-4, juntjoo wrote:
Peter T. Daniels;496812 Wrote:
There's no way to see from that what you've done -- but clearly because
the
lower left one is indented, there isn't room for another one beside it
--
but why not simply make a Table with four cells that fills the page?

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 9:31:09 PM UTC-4, juntjoo wrote:-
http://tinyurl.com/yakfz83l

that's the file. for some reason the yellow table is pushed into a
new
page which I don't want. I just want the four on one page but don't
understand what's getting in the way.-


Thanks. what do you mean by "indented" not allowing room next to it?

I actually started out with one table of four cells actually, but I
needed more control over each cell as when printing four postcards, the
point of all this, the interior alignment combine with differing page
margins(top left cell has upper left margins while lower right has lower
right ones) results in slightly different ultimate margins for each
card. So I'm trying to gain control of each cell individually to move
them separately as needed.

And I actually got an Avery template which uses four separate tables,
but it confused me so I'm just starting from scratch with the objective
to learn how Word works with tables in general as they're always causing
me problems




--
juntjoo
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8n1g0vm4s...-01_L.doc?dl=0

and what are these boxes behind the four tables? are these text boxes? whatever they are, what are their purpose? from I can see you put your content right into the tables. I believe this is the avery template.
  #8  
Old August 10th 17, 09:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,106
Default how to move table into space? help please.

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 3:31:05 PM UTC-4, juntjoo wrote:
Peter T. Daniels;496820 Wrote:
Sounds like you don't need tables at all, but rather Text Boxes.

Each line is a specific width, set by the margins of the paragraph. If
your
left margin is indented, then there isn't enough room on that line to
fit a
whole line's worth of stuff on it. If the stuff is merely two
rectangles,
then the second one gets pushed onto a new line.

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 3:31:05 PM UTC-4, juntjoo wrote:-
Peter T. Daniels;496812 Wrote: -
There's no way to see from that what you've done -- but clearly
because
the
lower left one is indented, there isn't room for another one beside
it
--
but why not simply make a Table with four cells that fills the page?

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 9:31:09 PM UTC-4, juntjoo wrote:-
http://tinyurl.com/yakfz83l

that's the file. for some reason the yellow table is pushed into a
new
page which I don't want. I just want the four on one page but don't
understand what's getting in the way.--

Thanks. what do you mean by "indented" not allowing room next to it?


I actually started out with one table of four cells actually, but I
needed more control over each cell as when printing four postcards,
the
point of all this, the interior alignment combine with differing page
margins(top left cell has upper left margins while lower right has
lower
right ones) results in slightly different ultimate margins for each
card. So I'm trying to gain control of each cell individually to move
them separately as needed.

And I actually got an Avery template which uses four separate tables,
but it confused me so I'm just starting from scratch with the
objective
to learn how Word works with tables in general as they're always
causing
me problems




--
juntjoo-


https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8n1g0vm4s...-01_L.doc?dl=0

and what are these boxes behind the four tables? are these text boxes?
whatever they are, what are their purpose? from I can see you put your
content right into the tables. I believe this is the avery template.


All I see there is a grid of four rectangles, spaced just as you want them.

If your Word document with "Show Non-Printing Characters" turned on has
"little boxes" on the line to the left of the wrong items, then they might
be characters that don't exist in any font installed on your computer. You
can simply delete them.
  #9  
Old August 12th 17, 12:46 AM
juntjoo juntjoo is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by WordBanter: Dec 2016
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter T. Daniels View Post
On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 3:31:05 PM UTC-4, juntjoo wrote:
Peter T. Daniels;496820 Wrote:
Sounds like you don't need tables at all, but rather Text Boxes.

Each line is a specific width, set by the margins of the paragraph. If
your
left margin is indented, then there isn't enough room on that line to
fit a
whole line's worth of stuff on it. If the stuff is merely two
rectangles,
then the second one gets pushed onto a new line.

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 3:31:05 PM UTC-4, juntjoo wrote:-
Peter T. Daniels;496812 Wrote: -
There's no way to see from that what you've done -- but clearly
because
the
lower left one is indented, there isn't room for another one beside
it
--
but why not simply make a Table with four cells that fills the page?

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 9:31:09 PM UTC-4, juntjoo wrote:-
http://tinyurl.com/yakfz83l

that's the file. for some reason the yellow table is pushed into a
new
page which I don't want. I just want the four on one page but don't
understand what's getting in the way.--

Thanks. what do you mean by "indented" not allowing room next to it?


I actually started out with one table of four cells actually, but I
needed more control over each cell as when printing four postcards,
the
point of all this, the interior alignment combine with differing page
margins(top left cell has upper left margins while lower right has
lower
right ones) results in slightly different ultimate margins for each
card. So I'm trying to gain control of each cell individually to move
them separately as needed.

And I actually got an Avery template which uses four separate tables,
but it confused me so I'm just starting from scratch with the
objective
to learn how Word works with tables in general as they're always
causing
me problems




--
juntjoo-


https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8n1g0vm4s...-01_L.doc?dl=0

and what are these boxes behind the four tables? are these text boxes?
whatever they are, what are their purpose? from I can see you put your
content right into the tables. I believe this is the avery template.


All I see there is a grid of four rectangles, spaced just as you want them.

If your Word document with "Show Non-Printing Characters" turned on has
"little boxes" on the line to the left of the wrong items, then they might
be characters that don't exist in any font installed on your computer. You
can simply delete them.

Thank you. Office 2010. I've tucked away all your tips for next time. It's been a blur as to what I've went through up til now but it's all working out and I have a better grip on Word now. Still working on it...
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
text in table makes the whole table move up Joyjoy Tables 1 January 22nd 10 07:30 PM
Move block of table rows up or down in table Dorian Microsoft Word Help 2 July 29th 09 08:30 PM
I cant get the space bar to move my text forward. jammer287 Microsoft Word Help 2 October 13th 08 07:18 PM
How do I move fields around the work space of a form The Sunglass Man Microsoft Word Help 1 May 16th 05 12:45 PM
How do I get my mailing labels to move up/over a space when I del. Karen @Gwin Page Layout 6 December 20th 04 04:55 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.