Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
LMK@work

Default Can you send a mail merge to a large group WITH an attachment?

I want to do a mail merge with 400+ recipients. Is it possible to attach a
PDF file?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

See the article prepared by fellow MVP Doug Robbins at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...ttachments.htm

LMK@work wrote:
I want to do a mail merge with 400+ recipients. Is it possible to
attach a PDF file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
LMK@work

I've checked out the article, but it's like reading Greek. I've gotten as
far as "Setup" and then I'm completely lost. That first sentence just keeps
going, and having never worked with macros I have no idea what it is I'm
supposed to be doing. I don't even see anything in the Visual Basic Editor
about Catalogues or Directories. Help?

LMK@work wrote:
I want to do a mail merge with 400+ recipients. Is it possible to
attach a PDF file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

See the article "What do I do with macros sent to me by other newsgroup
readers to help me out?" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...eateAMacro.htm

You need to read the article more carefully. The reference to catalogs or
directories has nothing to do with Visual Basic. They are a type of
mailmerge.

Post back here with any specific questions that you have.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

LMK@work wrote:
I want to do a mail merge with 400+ recipients. Is it possible to
attach a PDF file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
LMK@work

Thank you for clearing that up. Even with the clarification, though, I'm
still having trouble figuring out what that first sentence means. Is "type"
being used as a verb or a noun in "You will need to create a separate
Directory type mail merge main document"? When the article says, "which
creates a word document containing a table in each row...", does that mean
this table should be automatically created or I need to create a table?
Right now I have three word files, my source with email addresses, my
message, and this additional Directory. I understand what the outcome of
this process should be, but I'm completely missing how to get there. I'd
appreciate further clarification. Thanks.

LMK@work wrote:
I want to do a mail merge with 400+ recipients. Is it possible to
attach a PDF file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"type" is a noun

The following:

You will need to create a separate Catalogue (or in Word 2002 and later,
Directory) type mail merge main document which creates a word document
containing a table in each row of which would be data from the data source
that contains the email address in the first column and the Drive:\Path...

could read:

You will need to create a separate Catalogue (or in Word 2002 and later,
Directory) type mail merge main document which, when executed, creates a
word document containing a table in each row of which would be data from the
data source that contains the email address in the first column and the
Drive:\Path

But, if you just read on and follow each step, you will come to:

You first execute that mail merge to a new document, which if you have set
it up correctly will produce a document containing a table similar to the
following:

and, there are examples of what that document would look like.
--

LMK@work wrote:
I want to do a mail merge with 400+ recipients. Is it possible to
attach a PDF file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Wendy Wendy is offline

Alexandros

I like the break down of the instructions you provided for this problem. I
however am working with MS Office 07 and the steps don't work the same. Can
you tell me how to do this in 07?

"LMK@work" wrote:

I want to do a mail merge with 400+ recipients. Is it possible to attach a
PDF file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

See the article "Mail Merge to E-mail with Attachments" at

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...ttachments.htm

That method works in Word 2007

--

"LMK@work" wrote:

I want to do a mail merge with 400+ recipients. Is it possible to attach
PDF file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
J Wilkie J Wilkie is offline

I have followed all the instructions, have a directory file called Directory
Source.xls and Directory.doc and have started a new Word document with the
VBA (MS 2007) developer area open. I have got to the stage of having a Word
file open with my mail merged letters and on MS 2007 toolbar have created a
macro , copying the code given Doug Robbin's file. When I run the macro I
get the window, in which I link in Directory.doc and I get a pop up window
asking me for subject of emails - almost there - then I get a pop up window
saying 0 emails sent. Where am I going wrong? as I seem to be right at the
very end? I have checked email addresses (actually I managed to send emails
with no attachments yesterday - but today no emails at all. )
Any help appreciated.

"LMK@work" wrote:

I want to do a mail merge with 400+ recipients. Is it possible to attach
PDF file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
DPJAEGER DPJAEGER is offline

J Wilkie -
I was in the exact same spot you are in, and I understand how frustrating
it can be to get so close only to have that €ś0 Messages Sent€ť box laughing at
you. It turns out that my problem was that I was not merging the document
that I wanted to email out into a new document before running the macro.
From the final letter you wish to merge, go to €śFinish and Merge€ť under the
€śMailings€ť tab and select €śEdit Individual Documents€¦€ť your mail merge
document will be exported to a new document that will have all the letters
with the correct information listed one right after the other (see Doug
Robbins last post on 1/5/2007 or steps 7 and 8 of alexandros.papadopouloss
outline). Then from THAT screen, run the macro and everything should work
out for you.

Good Luck