Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
adamwdsk adamwdsk is offline

Default page numbers and the Building Blocks.dotx etc

I do not understand why the insertion of "page number" and "of number of
pages" has become some obscure function in 2007.
In the help it discussed enabling the Building Blocks.dotx add-in. But when
I follow those directions there is no such add-in listed. In fact I have no
add-ins listed except some "inactive" things.
I went and downloaded some header add-ins (why should I have to do
that???!!) and briefly saw add-in choices. But when I went to another
document they were not there.

This a part of the whole bulding blocks issue. In Outlook I have created
some Building Blocks (previously known as auto-text) but they are not
available in Word.
Why is this so complex now. where is all this stuff stored?

Help would be appreciated. Are there some detailed papers on this?

BTW - I previously used the beta and the Outlook bulding blocks were carried
over.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I pass on most of those questions because I don't think anyone really knows.
If there really is a real reason for making my life far more difficult, then
it must be related to a bad smoking habit!

Unfortunately, you need to create Page of NumPages entry into your document,
select the entry and then add it to the QuickParts Gallery. By default, the
QuickParts is saved in the Building Blocks.dotx file but it may be saved to
other templates from the dialog.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"adamwdsk" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I should have finished by telling you that although you think that Outlook
is using Word as the email editor, it is not. Outlook now uses a trimmed
down version of Word contained in its own DLL. This does remove many of the
problems previously encountered by using Word as the email editor
(especially corporates that have updated Outlook because they have an
Exchange Server licence that entitles them to use the latest version of
Outlook), but it now means that you have to repeat any setting changes in
both Word and Outlook as they are separate entities.

Terry

"adamwdsk" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
adamwdsk adamwdsk is offline

Thanks. Odd that something as basic as page number insertion would have to be
created individually by the hundreds of millions of users of Word.
One of the annoying things about this "quick parts" structure is the fixed
size of the display on the drop down menu. If a lot of of quick parts are
stored the list is excessively long and requires much more scrolling than if
the item was only displayed in the number of lines it actually occupies.
this may be an improvement, but a lot of people are going to be very unhappy
with the loss of "autotext" which was more rapidly inserted.