Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Bryan L

Default Add checkboxes with macro in Merge document?

Our 3rd-party management system stores Word templates within its database.
We use their proprietary interface for selecting Form Letters to merge (or
edit), but the merged document or template itself opens up in Word. I
mention this at the outset in case it affects any answers.

We frequently merge customer data into these form letters, and that works
fine. I'm trying something new, however. I'd like to incorporate simple
checkboxes into some of the Form Letters used internally by employees to
submit, for example, a check request. Some of the relevant data pulls from
the customer's account, but there are quite a few other mulitple-choice
questions the user has to answer, and checkboxes would be ideal for that.

I found a fairly simple macro that works in conjuction with bookmarks to
make checkboxes behave the way I want. It uses bookmarks to define a group
of checkboxes so that only one checkbox within the group can be checked.
Marking a checkbox within the group causes all other checkboxes in the group
to deselect, so only one box at a time can be selected. This macro works
fine, but I have two problems:

1. When I save the template and then merge a document into it, the
merged document does not contain the bookmarks defined in the template.
However, if I open the template directly for editing, the bookmarks are
still there.

2. Locking the form (so the checkboxes will work) also locks the user
out of the other cells in the table. (For the sake of a clean layout that's
easy to read and navigate I've laid out the document using tables.) I think
this means one of two things: I either need to leave sections that must be
user-editable out of tables, or I need to add form fields to the cells where
I want them to enter data so when I lock the form, they have access to the
form fields I've created. Is there another option for me? Can I
selectively UN-protect the specific table cells that I wish users to use for
data entry? Do I need to similarly unprotect cells that contain merge
fields?

Thanks in advance,

Bryan