Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Updated Word 2000

Hi all!

Now back after wiping my disk and reloading everything.

This post continues the question I have been asking here previously. In
the expectation that Microsoft might remove Word 2000 updates from its
site in due course, I have been asking how I can download the updates
now and put them in a folder, wich I back up to a memory stick. Then,
at any time in the future when I have to wipe my disk for any reason (eg
virus, spyware, corruptiuon etc) I can reload my original Word 2000 from
CD (which I have) and then apply the updates locally (not from any
website).

I had problems getting anyone to understand what I was aiming to do, and
advise me on doing it, but eventually it appeared that I could locate
the *.exe files on the microsoft site and download them, then apply them
locally if ever needed.

Well, I did download and copy them and now that need has happened. For
other reasons I've had to completely reformat my hard disk and reload
everything from scratch.

I've reloaded the original Word 2000 from CD, and have now tried to
apply the update files locally as planned... But *without success*!

The first file I tried, which I had copied from the microsoft site was
o2ksr1a.exe (166Kb). When I clicked on that, it insisted on making a
Web connection, so that eliminates the aimed-for advantage of updating
*off-line* and irrespective of whether the files are available.
I aborted that.

The next file I tried was 02kSp3.exe (service pack 3), and when I
invoked that it said 'the expected version of this product was not found
on your system'

Thus it seems that my asttempts to make a local updating system are
entirely foiled, and I will be forced to buy a newer version of Word,
which in turn requires me to buy a newer computer with more RAM. As my
exsiting system is adequate in every way, I want to avoid this
compulsory "upgrade".

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas, anyone?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Further to that, I then went to the Microsoft site and attempted to do
the updates in the normal way. This time I got a message like
'experiencing technical diffficulty' which suggests I'm locked out of
that method too! So this is becoming a real nightmare. Can any of you
help?

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman

Just the size of the file o2ksr1a.exe (166Kb) tells me that it isn't
the entire Service Release 1, just a small downloader program that
gets the rest of the (multi-megabyte) update from the web site.

In fact, the Service Release is 335 MB and occupies an entire CD.
Microsoft used to offer the CD for the cost of shipping, but it
probably isn't available from them any more. If you can't locate it,
contact me by email.

If I recall correctly, Service Pack 3 requires Service Release 1 to be
installed first. Once SR1 is present, SP3 should install OK.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman