Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dermot

Default Word Task Pane....

Why is the appearance of the righthand "Task Pane" different on my two
computers.....one indicates "Recent Template" and "Templates on Computer"
while the other has options like "Open A Document" and General
Templates".....can anyone tell me why?
Is there a way to customise the features on the task pane?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dermot

Thanks for the reply Suzanne
I don't know how I overlooked this posting.
I am using Word 2002 in one computer and 2003 in another.
The reason I am asking this question is.....I would like to delete the old
shortcuts that are in the "Task Pane" (2003) but belong to deleted documents.
I have looked in all my books and searched the on line help unsucessfully.
Regards
Dermot

"Dermot" wrote in message
Why is the appearance of the righthand "Task Pane" different on my two
computers.....one indicates "Recent Template" and "Templates on Computer"
while the other has options like "Open A Document" and General
Templates".....can anyone tell me why?
Is there a way to customise the features on the task pane?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You remove those shortcuts by removing them from the File menu, and you can
do that either by disabling the MRU list (Tools | Options | General), which
deletes them all or by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Minus and then clicking on the file
you want to remove.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Do you have different versions of Word installed?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Dermot" wrote in message
Why is the appearance of the righthand "Task Pane" different on my two
computers.....one indicates "Recent Template" and "Templates on

Computer"
while the other has options like "Open A Document" and General
Templates".....can anyone tell me why?
Is there a way to customise the features on the task pane?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dermot

Dear Suzanne
Thanks once more.
I found that by disabling the MRU list as suggested did eliminate all the
shortcuts. This was fine on my fist machine, but I only want to delete a few
from the other computer.

I don't understand the alternative suggestion...Ctrl +Alt + Minus and then
clicking on the file I would like to remove.
If I hold down Ctrl + Alt with the left hand and then the Minus key (beside
=)....how am I meant to click on the file I want to remove? I don't have a
third hand....mmmm I know this must be obvious, please advise?
When you say click on the the "File" do you mean the shortcut in the Task
Pane.....as the files have already been deleted hence the broken shortcuts I
would like to eliminate.

"Dermot" wrote in message
Why is the appearance of the righthand "Task Pane" different on my two
computers.....one indicates "Recent Template" and "Templates on

Computer"
while the other has options like "Open A Document" and General
Templates".....can anyone tell me why?
Is there a way to customise the features on the task pane?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you click on Ctrl+Alt+Hyphen (which is what I should have said), the
mouse cursor changes to a black bar (I like to think of it as a giant minus
sign). While it has that appearance, any menu item you click on will be
deleted (see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/LostSymbol.htm for an
example of one of its most common ill effects). So you click on File to open
the File menu, then click on the filename you want to remove.

The "destructive cursor" is used up after one deletion and returns to its
normal function (you can also dismiss it with ESC if you ever inadvertently
invoke it).

Note that you *cannot* remove filenames directly from the task pane, but
removing them from the MRU list on the File menu will also remove them from
the task pane.

"Dermot" wrote in message
Why is the appearance of the righthand "Task Pane" different on my

two
computers.....one indicates "Recent Template" and "Templates on

Computer"
while the other has options like "Open A Document" and General
Templates".....can anyone tell me why?
Is there a way to customise the features on the task pane?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dermot

Dear Suzanne,
Thankyou for such a clear explanation.
I understood it straight away and have successfully deleted all shortcuts.
Thanks for the link too.
Regards
Dermot