Sven Peeters

Default NText fields in Word are empty

Hi,

I'm using a SQL Database with a table Clients that has 1 ntext filed called
Memo.
When I prepare the SQL-query in MSQuery ( Using Office 2000 !! ), all is well.
I see that my field Memo is filled in correctly.

However when link my word doc with this dqy-file, the field Memo
(ntext-field) is available but stays blank in Word.

It this a know bug and/or how can I work around it?

Regards,

Sven Peeters
Belgium
Peter Jamieson

Yes, this is a known problem - I don't know for sure what causes the problem
but I suspect that when Word is connecting to data via ODBC - which is in
effect what is happening when you use MS Query - it does not issue the
correct commands to configure the ODBC driver to deal with Unicode
data.

So you either need to
a. change your ntext fields to text fields or
b. use TRANSACT-SQL CONVERT/CAST functions in an SQL SELECT to convert from
NTEXT
etc., thus losing any non-ANSI characters (the SELECT might be in a SQL
Server View or specified in a Word OpenDataSource method call).

Peter Jamieson