Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Skip Skip is offline

Default Word keeps CONFIGURING on start

Does anyone know why WORD keeps CONFIGURING on start? It happens about every
third time I start WORD 2007. It does not happen with any other OFFICE
program. I ran MS diagnostics and had no problems reported. Thanks for any
help. Skip
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Twayne[_2_] Twayne[_2_] is offline

In ,
Skip typed:
Does anyone know why WORD keeps CONFIGURING on start? It happens
about every third time I start WORD 2007. It does not happen with
any other OFFICE program. I ran MS diagnostics and had no problems
reported. Thanks for any help. Skip

Normally that would mean that something is being run that disturbs, usually,
one of the files in the "common" folders. e.g. trying to run two different
versions of Office or Word. See if you can figure out whether it's another
program you run that makes it reinstall. The other program might be
reinstalling something too, only doing it so fast you don't notice it.
Win98 and winXP with Word98 and XP operated exactly like that when both were
installed. And yet they could both run simulatneiously - go figger!

HTH,

Twayne

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Skip Skip is offline

Twayne,

I did keep my original Office 97, because I like the bells and whistles it
offered, such as pix and scrbeans etc. When I boot up, everything is great.
All desktop icons show, and are functional. Even if the very first thing I
do is try and open WORD 2007, it goes through this whole CONFIGURING process,
3-4 minutes, then starts right up. I have used the Office 97 with WIN XP for
years and never had this type of problem. I don't really want to uninstall
my Office 97. Do you think that is my only option? Thanks, Skip

"Twayne" wrote:

In ,
Skip typed:
Does anyone know why WORD keeps CONFIGURING on start? It happens
about every third time I start WORD 2007. It does not happen with
any other OFFICE program. I ran MS diagnostics and had no problems
reported. Thanks for any help. Skip

Normally that would mean that something is being run that disturbs, usually,
one of the files in the "common" folders. e.g. trying to run two different
versions of Office or Word. See if you can figure out whether it's another
program you run that makes it reinstall. The other program might be
reinstalling something too, only doing it so fast you don't notice it.
Win98 and winXP with Word98 and XP operated exactly like that when both were
installed. And yet they could both run simulatneiously - go figger!

HTH,

Twayne

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Skip, see
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/p...cle.asp?ID=762 which
gives instructions for a registry change that will cure the problem.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:12:06 -0800, Skip
wrote:

Twayne,

I did keep my original Office 97, because I like the bells and whistles it
offered, such as pix and scrbeans etc. When I boot up, everything is great.
All desktop icons show, and are functional. Even if the very first thing I
do is try and open WORD 2007, it goes through this whole CONFIGURING process,
3-4 minutes, then starts right up. I have used the Office 97 with WIN XP for
years and never had this type of problem. I don't really want to uninstall
my Office 97. Do you think that is my only option? Thanks, Skip

"Twayne" wrote:

In ,
Skip typed:
Does anyone know why WORD keeps CONFIGURING on start? It happens
about every third time I start WORD 2007. It does not happen with
any other OFFICE program. I ran MS diagnostics and had no problems
reported. Thanks for any help. Skip

Normally that would mean that something is being run that disturbs, usually,
one of the files in the "common" folders. e.g. trying to run two different
versions of Office or Word. See if you can figure out whether it's another
program you run that makes it reinstall. The other program might be
reinstalling something too, only doing it so fast you don't notice it.
Win98 and winXP with Word98 and XP operated exactly like that when both were
installed. And yet they could both run simulatneiously - go figger!

HTH,

Twayne

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Twayne[_2_] Twayne[_2_] is offline

In ,
Skip typed:
Twayne,

I did keep my original Office 97, because I like the bells and
whistles it offered, such as pix and scrbeans etc. When I boot up,
everything is great. All desktop icons show, and are functional.
Even if the very first thing I do is try and open WORD 2007, it goes
through this whole CONFIGURING process, 3-4 minutes, then starts
right up. I have used the Office 97 with WIN XP for years and never
had this type of problem. I don't really want to uninstall my Office
97. Do you think that is my only option? Thanks, Skip

"Twayne" wrote:

In ,
Skip typed:
Does anyone know why WORD keeps CONFIGURING on start? It happens
about every third time I start WORD 2007. It does not happen with
any other OFFICE program. I ran MS diagnostics and had no problems
reported. Thanks for any help. Skip

Normally that would mean that something is being run that disturbs,
usually, one of the files in the "common" folders. e.g. trying to
run two different versions of Office or Word. See if you can figure
out whether it's another program you run that makes it reinstall.
The other program might be reinstalling something too, only doing it
so fast you don't notice it. Win98 and winXP with Word98 and XP
operated exactly like that when both were installed. And yet they
could both run simulatneiously - go figger!

HTH,

Twayne

.

Oof, that's a long time to have to wait! Looks like Jay has a good response
for you though. It'll stop them from stepping on each other.

Twayne