SecureFred

Default How can I tag the same replaceable words in a long document?

I am running Word 2002. But this may apply to other versions too. I often
prepare bid specifications to construction projects. The format is very
strict (Construction Specifications Institute) and cannot include a table of
contents. However, there are always about 8 different topics that could vary
from project-to-project. I also have a worksheet to ask my customers the
answer to these questions:

The bidder shall be in business for ____ years.
The bidder shall maintain an office within ____ miles of the construction
site.
The bidder shall have ____ factory-certified technicians on-site at any time.
The total main document is about 2 dozen pages long. Is there some easy way
to €œtag€ these variable issues so anyone editing the document can €œjump€ to
each spot?
Margaret Aldis

I'm not sure how variable your responses are, but if these are just numbers
and names you might like to look at custom properties. You can set the value
of these and have DOCPROPERTY fields show that value automatically in the
document content.

Or, if you just need to navigate to the sections where you need to type free
content, you could use the document map (but see caveats at
http://shaunakelly.com/word/documentmap/index.html) or insert bookmarks and
use "Go to" to pick them up.

Yet another options would be to set the whole document up as a protected
"form" leaving the variable text as fields or unprotected sections. That
would give you the tabbing, though there are other complications with the
idea. See Dian Chapman's articles starting at
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"SecureFred" wrote in message
I am running Word 2002. But this may apply to other versions too. I often
prepare bid specifications to construction projects. The format is very
strict (Construction Specifications Institute) and cannot include a table
of
contents. However, there are always about 8 different topics that could
vary
from project-to-project. I also have a worksheet to ask my customers the
answer to these questions:

The bidder shall be in business for ____ years.
The bidder shall maintain an office within ____ miles of the construction
site.
The bidder shall have ____ factory-certified technicians on-site at any
time.
The total main document is about 2 dozen pages long. Is there some easy
way
to "tag" these variable issues so anyone editing the document can "jump"
each spot?

You can also use MacroButton fields, which will permit you to skip through
the document with F11. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...acroButton.htm

"Margaret Aldis" wrote in
message ...