mohammad

Default Sharing and editing Word Document

We have Microsoft Word 2002 (Office XP). The Document is located on the
Network drive. I have created two group of people NTFS permission (one who
have only Read permission and the other Full Control). I have noticed when
someone from Read only Group open the document, the other person from Full
Control when finishes editing, cannot save the document. As soon as, Read
only member closes the document, then the other person can save his
modification.

Is that because the way Microsoft Word is? if yes, what other solution might
work?

thanks

Mohammad
Charles Kenyon

Word is set up so that the first person who opens a document obtains an
ownership over it so long as the document is opened. Others can open the
file but as read-only. So I am mystified that it even allows the save for
user 2 after user 1 closes out.

Are you using documents where you should be using templates?
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

You might consider publishing these documents as pdf files for your
read-only users.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.