Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Edcat Edcat is offline

Default Ctrl Home and Ctrl End functions disabled

I have Windows XP. Somehow the Ctrl Home and Ctrl End functions have become
disabled on Word and Excel. How can I correct this problem?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Edcat wrote:
I have Windows XP. Somehow the Ctrl Home and Ctrl End functions have
become disabled on Word and Excel. How can I correct this problem?

In Word, go to Tools Options General and uncheck both options that
mention WordPerfect.

In Excel, go to Tools Options Transition and uncheck the "Transition
navigation" box.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Edcat Edcat is offline

Mr. Freedman,
Thanks for your response. I did not have the options you suggested checked
in Word or Excel. Do you have any other suggestions?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Edcat wrote:
I have Windows XP. Somehow the Ctrl Home and Ctrl End functions have
become disabled on Word and Excel. How can I correct this problem?

In Word, go to Tools Options General and uncheck both options that
mention WordPerfect.

In Excel, go to Tools Options Transition and uncheck the "Transition
navigation" box.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In that case you certainly do have the WordPerfect options on the General
tab of Tools | Options. Clear the check boxes for both "Help for WordPerfect
users" and "Navigation keys for WordPerfect users."

"Edcat" wrote in message
It is Office 2002.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Edcat wrote:
I have Windows XP. Somehow the Ctrl Home and Ctrl End functions
have
become disabled on Word and Excel. How can I correct this problem?

In Word, go to Tools Options General and uncheck both options that
mention WordPerfect.

In Excel, go to Tools Options Transition and uncheck the
"Transition
navigation" box.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup
so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Word allows user reassignment of keyboard shortcuts
(http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...roToHotkey.htm
explains the procedure), and you could try using it to restore the
correct assignments. However, there is no such customization dialog in
Excel, where a macro would be required. So I don't think that's the
correct explanation for how you lost the assignment in the first
place.

Do you have any other software running in the background that might be
remapping your keyboard? Do those keystrokes work in other programs
(such as WordPad)?

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 14:53:01 -0800, Edcat
wrote:

It is Office 2002.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Edcat wrote:
I have Windows XP. Somehow the Ctrl Home and Ctrl End functions have
become disabled on Word and Excel. How can I correct this problem?

In Word, go to Tools Options General and uncheck both options that
mention WordPerfect.

In Excel, go to Tools Options Transition and uncheck the "Transition
navigation" box.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I see I missed the word "checked" in Edcat's reply. Sorry.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
news
Word allows user reassignment of keyboard shortcuts
(http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...roToHotkey.htm
explains the procedure), and you could try using it to restore the
correct assignments. However, there is no such customization dialog in
Excel, where a macro would be required. So I don't think that's the
correct explanation for how you lost the assignment in the first
place.

Do you have any other software running in the background that might be
remapping your keyboard? Do those keystrokes work in other programs
(such as WordPad)?

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 14:53:01 -0800, Edcat
wrote:

It is Office 2002.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Edcat wrote:
I have Windows XP. Somehow the Ctrl Home and Ctrl End functions
have
become disabled on Word and Excel. How can I correct this problem?

In Word, go to Tools Options General and uncheck both options
that
mention WordPerfect.

In Excel, go to Tools Options Transition and uncheck the
"Transition
navigation" box.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Edcat Edcat is offline

All my settings were correct and no other software running in the background
that would alter the keystrokes or remap my keyboard. I finally tried a
different keyboard and the Ctrl Home and Ctrl End functions now work. Oddly,
these were the only two functions that didn't work on the old keyboard, so I
had eliminated the keyboard as being the culprit.

Thank you both for your help and advice. It is comforting to know that
experts like you are readily available and take the time to respond to
questiions such as this. You are greatly appreciated!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I see I missed the word "checked" in Edcat's reply. Sorry.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
news
Word allows user reassignment of keyboard shortcuts
(http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...roToHotkey.htm
explains the procedure), and you could try using it to restore the
correct assignments. However, there is no such customization dialog in
Excel, where a macro would be required. So I don't think that's the
correct explanation for how you lost the assignment in the first
place.

Do you have any other software running in the background that might be
remapping your keyboard? Do those keystrokes work in other programs
(such as WordPad)?

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 14:53:01 -0800, Edcat
wrote:

It is Office 2002.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Edcat wrote:
I have Windows XP. Somehow the Ctrl Home and Ctrl End functions
have
become disabled on Word and Excel. How can I correct this problem?

In Word, go to Tools Options General and uncheck both options
that
mention WordPerfect.

In Excel, go to Tools Options Transition and uncheck the
"Transition
navigation" box.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That is indeed bizarre, but I'm glad you got there in the end. Was the
keyboard perhaps programmable? Users do sometimes disable keys such as
NumLock when the keyboard software permits it--can't imagine why anyone
would disable Home and End, but who knows?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I see I missed the word "checked" in Edcat's reply. Sorry.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
news
Word allows user reassignment of keyboard shortcuts
(http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...roToHotkey.htm
explains the procedure), and you could try using it to restore the
correct assignments. However, there is no such customization dialog in
Excel, where a macro would be required. So I don't think that's the
correct explanation for how you lost the assignment in the first
place.

Do you have any other software running in the background that might be
remapping your keyboard? Do those keystrokes work in other programs
(such as WordPad)?

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 14:53:01 -0800, Edcat
wrote:

It is Office 2002.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Edcat wrote:
I have Windows XP. Somehow the Ctrl Home and Ctrl End functions
have
become disabled on Word and Excel. How can I correct this
problem?

In Word, go to Tools Options General and uncheck both options
that
mention WordPerfect.

In Excel, go to Tools Options Transition and uncheck the
"Transition
navigation" box.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup
so all may benefit.

Word 2003 go to start of document - ctrl home taking me to CTRL G lel Microsoft Word Help 3 July 12th 06 01:34 PM
ctrl+home doesn't go to the beggining of the document... Alex Microsoft Word Help 1 February 16th 06 05:43 AM
CTRL- Home Herb Microsoft Word Help 2 October 15th 05 08:20 PM
Some of the keys, such as Home, Ctrl + Home are not working-why TechTeacher Microsoft Word Help 1 October 5th 05 04:46 AM
CTRL-HOME has stopped functioning WRITER Microsoft Word Help 1 April 26th 05 01:47 AM