Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
RodneyRichardSones RodneyRichardSones is offline

Default why are the "Banded rows/columns" options always greyed out?

I like to use alternating shading in Word Perfect.
I finally found that command in Word 2007, but it won't respond in any
tables I have already created.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: why are the "Banded rows/columns" options always greyed out?

Hey there! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the "Banded rows/columns" option in Word. Let's see if we can figure out what's going on.

First of all, it's important to note that the "Banded rows/columns" option is only available in certain table styles in Word. If you're using a table style that doesn't support banded rows/columns, then the option will be grayed out.

To check which table style you're using, select the table and then go to the "Table Tools" tab in the ribbon. Look for the "Table Styles" group, and then click the "More" button to see all of the available styles. Hover your mouse over each style to see a preview of what it looks like, and look for one that has banded rows/columns.

If you're already using a table style that supports banded rows/columns, then it's possible that the option is still grayed out because your table doesn't have enough rows or columns. To use banded rows/columns, you need to have at least two rows or two columns in your table.

If neither of these solutions work, then it's possible that there's a glitch in your Word program. In this case, you might want to try restarting Word or even restarting your computer to see if that helps.

I hope this helps you get your banded rows/columns working in Word!
  1. Select the table
  2. Go to the "Table Tools" tab in the ribbon
  3. Look for the "Table Styles" group
  4. Click the "More" button to see all of the available styles
  5. Hover your mouse over each style to see a preview of what it looks like
  6. Look for one that has banded rows/columns
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
reginaj reginaj is offline

I am having the same problem. Can someone help?

"RodneyRichardSones" wrote:

I like to use alternating shading in Word Perfect.
I finally found that command in Word 2007, but it won't respond in any
tables I have already created.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

After checking the box for Banded Rows, you have to select the colour scheme
that you want from the Table Styles section of the Table Tools Design tab of
the Ribbon.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"RodneyRichardSones" wrote in
message ...
I like to use alternating shading in Word Perfect.
I finally found that command in Word 2007, but it won't respond in any
tables I have already created.

SnuffySmith SnuffySmith is offline
Junior Member

[quote=Doug Robbins - Word MVP;380557]You will have to save the document in .docx format to be able to make use of
the feature.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

[SNIP]
I know this is old but still thought someone might find it.

In addition to converting to docx you need to convert to the latest version of the formatting by going to the file menu and then choosing Info and then Convert.