Skip Numbering

Old April 27th 08, 06:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Gauci

Default Skip Numbering

In my Word 2007 the Skip Numbering command (I have included the corresponding
green button in the QAT) does not work. Is this a problem with Word 2007?

--
Paul Gauci
Old April 28th 08, 10:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

If you want to skip numbering, the easiest way is to apply a style which is
not numbered. For example, you can press Ctrl+Shift+N to apply the Normal
style.

FWIW, I don't know how the Skip Numbering command is supposed to work; as
you've noticed, it doesn't seem to work at all.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old April 28th 08, 10:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Gauci

Stefan

I used it often in Word XP and Word 2003 and it is a most convenient
command. The corresponding icon is available in 2007 but as I pointed out it
does not seem to work.

Thanks

Paul

--
Paul Gauci

Old April 28th 08, 03:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The way it's evidently supposed to work is to create a numbered item without
a number. I find this anomalous and confusing. Given that Word has provided
the List Continue set of styles to coordinate with the List, List Number,
and List Bullet styles, I feel it is preferable to use these (or Body Text,
as required) instead of just removing the number from a "numbered" style.

Old April 29th 08, 07:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Gauci

I see your point, but since I often need to use as much as nine different
types of List Numbers and List Bullets styles, the 'Skip Numbering' command
comes in very handy. Otherwise I would have to create different un-numbered
or un-bulleted paragraph styles (of different indentations).

This would then make my templates cumbersome for me and difficult to
comprehend for co-workers who may need to use my templates.

Ultimately, I would expect the command to work if it is included in the
package.

Thanks

Paul

--
Paul Gauci

Old April 29th 08, 11:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

Indeed, it seems to be a redundant feature... But I'm curious to learn if
you ever got it to work, when testing it?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old April 29th 08, 05:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Gauci

In 2003 it worked perfectly. I loaded the corresponding icon in a floating
toolbar together with List Number and List Bullet icons and used it quite a
lot.

--
Paul Gauci