Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Terri Terri is offline

Default Automating SUM function in a table in a form

I have created a form using a table where I enter numbers in a column. At the
bottom of a column I have pasted a SUM(ABOVE) function which should
automatically add up the column and give me the result. I need help
automating the SUM function. Right now in order to get the cell with the
SUM(ABOVE) function to calculate, I have to right click and select "Update
Field." What can I do to make it so it updates without having to manually
update?

Terri
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Generally, fields do not update automatically (there are a few exceptions,
but the formula field does not belong to that category).

What you can do is enable the option to update fields on print; this ensures
that you have the correct sum when printing the document. In Word 2007, do
the following: Click the Office button, and then click Word Options. In the
Display category, check the "Update fields before printing" option, and
click OK. In older versions, the corresponding option is found on the Print
tab of the Tools | Options dialog box.

Alternatively, you can make use of a macro. See the example at
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Terri" wrote in message
I have created a form using a table where I enter numbers in a column. At
the
bottom of a column I have pasted a SUM(ABOVE) function which should
automatically add up the column and give me the result. I need help
automating the SUM function. Right now in order to get the cell with the
SUM(ABOVE) function to calculate, I have to right click and select "Update
Field." What can I do to make it so it updates without having to manually
update?

Terri

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lori H. Lori H. is offline

check the 6/3 post by Graham Mayor in the thread "where is the autosum..."

you need to check "calculate on exit" in the fields contributing to the sum
(and you also have to use default =0, because blanks will confuse the autosum
function).

"Terri" wrote:

I have created a form using a table where I enter numbers in a column. At the
bottom of a column I have pasted a SUM(ABOVE) function which should
automatically add up the column and give me the result. I need help
automating the SUM function. Right now in order to get the cell with the
SUM(ABOVE) function to calculate, I have to right click and select "Update
Field." What can I do to make it so it updates without having to manually
update?

Terri

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lori H. Lori H. is offline

also, macropod posted this link in 2008 to the thread "equations in Word 2007":
http://www.wopr.com/index.php?showtopic=365442
I found it helpful for advanced calculations (like including discontinuous
cells).