Word's Mail Merge of an Excel List

Old June 10th 06, 10:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.excel

Default Word's Mail Merge of an Excel List

I am trying to follow the Excel help file in using Word 2003 to produce
labels from a list of names in Excel 2003. I want to just put the First
Name field on the labels. The instructions are very clear and I can produce
the labels just as I want them on the Avery labels except for one minor
problem. I want the First Name centered both horizontally and vertically on
the label. I can center it horizontally but can find no way to do it
vertically. The name in a large font size, say 48 or 72, is noticeably
nearer the top of the label than the center.

Is there a way to make it appear in the center top to bottom?

Thank you.

Old June 10th 06, 11:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.excel

IIRC, the main doc should be set up as a table, so you should be able to
select the table, then go to TableTable PropertiesCell, select Center from
the Vertical Alignment options.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Old June 11th 06, 04:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.excel

There are probably a couple of paragraph marks at the end of each
label which throws off the vertical alignment. To correct it, turn on
your non-printing characters ( in the Standard toolbar) and remove
the last two paragraph marks on the first label. Then use the
"Propagate Labels" command to change the rest.

If you've already completed the merge then:

- Press F5 to open Find/Replace
- Select the Replace tab
- In Find What type: ^p^p
- Leave Replace With blank
- Click Replace All

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

Old June 11th 06, 11:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.excel

Thank you very much, Beth.

Now the labels are centered top to bottom.

In addition to the paragraph mark at the end of each label there was another
symbol, a small circle with 'ears' (short lines) sticking out of it. What
in the world are they?

Thanks again.

Old June 11th 06, 07:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.excel

Thank you, Suzanne. Yep, it is the only 'thingy" there now and its position
corresponds to you explanation.

Thanks again.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
That's the end-of-cell marker, and it should be the only "paragraph mark"
you see. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

so
all may benefit.